Little Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Little Forty

Post by Keith.P »

Just being pedantic, as someone shot me in the ass about this once before and it still sings.
Is an LS which I suspect this motor is, a super forty, rather than little forty.
Nice job so far, by the way.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:STUMP I SHALL KEEP. ......cable ties for sale....
I tried that once, I said "tie me up and do whatever you want"
she went shopping with my credit card :oops:
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think what Jon was saying in his post that mentioned "smaller carbs" needs a bit of clarification, if your emails are anything to go by.

I was hoping Gannet would post a definitive answer as this is his area of expertise, will you please correct my mistakes Jeremy.

The smaller carb that Jon was talking about is the one with the 7/16" throat diameter (measured from the cylinder side) & numbered V508C just under the screw on cap on the throttle slide body, I can't read the number on the 1/2" throat version as it's a new one covered in Hammerite paint.

On the FV's & FVP's that I've looked at there seemed to be about half with the 7/16" & half with the 1/2", & as these carbs are not regarded as a fragile parts, I can't understand why half of them would get replaced, perhaps they were fitted from new, but why mix & match.

Sorry I can't give a better answer than that, Jeremy is the man on this subject!

Tam my FV carb has the throttle limiter & the same fine mesh air intake as yours, got that tank, thanks.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I did as Tam suggested and the points box came right off, I eased up the paper cover and underneath is what I guess is the condenser box
I can''t tell by looking if its worn or not so I need to get a multimeter on it now to see if it's giving a reading but as I am getting a spark of sorts I hope I don't need to replace the coil as I have found the first siezed part, :cry: the screws holding the coil in place are stuck tight and I can't budge them, I have put some wd40 on the heads, they look like mild steel so will putting heat on them risk damaging the slot in the screw head?
Back to the Villiers Carb, it is the smaller one with V508c/1, the carb is coming apart for a proper clean
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Would be better to check with the multi meter before you start stripping it down .....
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

To get the coil off heat the area on the baseplate where the bolts screw in.
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Tam my FV carb has the throttle limiter & the same fine mesh air intake as yours, got that tank, thanks.

Mybe these fine meshed air intakes where a limited edition for the dreaded MIDGES in scotland i have 3 of which 2 came on fvp,s could be why you guys south of the border haven't seen them on seagulls (just a thought)
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:Would be better to check with the multi meter before you start stripping it down .....
Tam you are right :oops: I sort of figured it out halfway into taking the thing apart :lol:
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

looking at youtube those mesh filters seem to be used on lawnmowes too, us Northern folk only mow once a year :lol:
I've been in places where even that mesh filter would be clogged up in minutes, nothing stops the Highland Midge :evil:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Now what was it that flies like to hang around?

Might explain a lot!

If you take that mesh off, your FV will suck in about 250 litres of air a minute, I don't think your Seagull will be bothered by 50 midges a minute, it might be a greener way than fly spray!

I wonder if there's a market for cooked midges?
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

And yes they do love 2 stroke. ....
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Now what was it that flies like to hang around?

Might explain a lot!

I have your number (cock).... :evil: real men smell of pish anyway....
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Come back Hadrian all is forgiven
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Charles uk wrote:Come back Hadrian all is forgiven
you spelt Sturgeon wrong :shock:

can I remove the Brass valve? I see if I take out the retaining screw the valve will turn but I can't see how to take it out