Spot the problems

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Spot the problems

Post by Keith.P »

I just thought I would post this up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131976247624? ... EBIDX%3AIT
In fully working order, so they say, so spot the initial problems you going to have with this one, not including the price.
It seems too many people know all you need to know about seagull, except how to use them.
tambikerboy

Re: Spot the problems

Post by tambikerboy »

Not my /proper choice of prop
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Prop is right for the motor.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Marston fuel tap???
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

This is silly, a seagull in full working order.
A throttle cable that is so long you can strangle your crew mate, chuck him or her overboard without having to stop the motor, that's if it will stop with that length of cable fitted.
With that in mind, the motor will not stay in neutral, as the rod and exhaust clamp are not set up to do so, so it will likely jump into gear at anytime, that's if you can attach the motor to your transom in the first place.
And this is a fully working overpriced motor.

I think the Marston fuel tap is chrome plated with hexagonal lever, that's just a common old brass tap.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

1. Extended throttle cable.
2. Thumbscrews missing end grips.
3. Throttle lever 90% off position.
4. Air inlet not facing down.

In order of distress.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

1. Extended throttle cable. :P
2. Thumbscrews missing end grips. :P
3. Throttle lever 90% off position. :cry: Personal preference
4. Air inlet not facing down. :cry: maybe racing motor.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You could use that throttle cable as a starter cord!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Keith.P wrote: 4. Air inlet not facing down. :cry: maybe racing motor.
Wouldn't a racing motor have it facing forward? Forced ram air 8)
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

We call it streamlining :lol:
But an air ram sounds more logical. :P you win.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

If someone wishes to part with the asked for money and a general tidy up.........I see no problems.

The only problems would be what is internal that are yet hidden.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

I think the seller may have misread/misinterpreted what is on SOS with regards to the text on the rope sheave... :roll: :lol:

According to my SJP & SJM data, the plastic fuel cap came on motors post-1960ish, so I would hazard a guess that the fuel cap is wrong... fuel petcock isn't original as stated previously, fuel line is a later black one not the transparent orange one. I've never seen that type of tiller arm on 102's before but have seen them on SJP & SJMs of the earlier variety, so not a 100% but I think that's the wrong tiller arm for this age motor,spark plug boot un-original, steering friction semicircular part I don't think should be that black plastic (again, my SJP & SJM research shows they were fitted post-1960ish so you'd think that they would have done that on all motors...).

Certainly not in 'full working order' currently as rubber tube to connect water pipe to water outlet on top of gearbox is split and not connected by a long shot.

As B says, with a tidy up and a bit of work done to it the buyer should end up with a decent 102 ( as long as the internals are ok).

Those white plastic motor tilt angle assemblies are relatively hard to find here in Aus not broken and with the plastic bar still intact.

Maybe Jon could clarify what his research says with regards to tiller arm, fuel cap and steering friction adjuster...

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'll try Boyd.

The tiller actually appears to be correct for this motor. As does the grip and throttle lever (despite being at a weird angle)
Most, if not all of the T series 102's i have on record to date have this type of tiller arrangement so there's nothing too out of the ordinary here.

I'm in two minds over the prop at the moment, although the gearbox looks ok.
The friction cup on the drive tube might have been replaced at some point, as has the rest of the transom clamp. The general consensus with transom clamps for a 102 built in the late 50's IDEALLY is with a hollow "channeled" clamp, an aluminium main section and an aluminium throst block. 1 "sharks tooth" on the tilt support with an aluminium friction cup. These brackets often get bent out of shape or worse still can break over the years and what you see with this particular motor would suggest someone has been doing some "make do and mend". (clutch rod springs to mind being the wrong way around, but an easy mistake to make i suppose to somebody that doesn't know)
Clutch lever i think is slightly wrong, looks like a more modern century type lever to me. Correct style but 1 too many holes in it. The jury is still open on this though so don't quote me on it.

The throttle cable made me chuckle! Nice one Keith :lol:

I do find it hard to beleive this motor would pump any water through the block going by the state of the pipe connection at the pumphousing. :roll:

On the upside it's all there and a good candidate for a resto job. It might not be as bad as we make it out to be. A bit of a clean here and there and of course the right parts re-fitted and it could end up being a good'un. You never know.

But not at that price..... not worth it

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I see this type of thing for sale all the time and for someone that wants an honest seagull, they are not going to get anything like an honest seagull.
Another one today, An original little model forty tiller handle, a tilting one, aluminium and with the little cable holder, I know better, others may not.
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

by headdownarseup

The tiller actually appears to be correct for this motor. As does the grip and throttle lever (despite being at a weird angle)
Most, if not all of the T series 102's i have on record to date have this type of tiller arrangement so there's nothing too out of the ordinary here.
Jon,
With regards to the tiller, there are three types of tilting tillers I have come across. The one on an AD 102 for example, the one on the 102 in question and the later type.

My comment was referring to the type of tiller handle fitted to the 102 in question. If you see my attached pictures, you should be able to see what I mean.
The tiller fitted to this 102 is what I have only seen fitted to LS's and very early SJP and SJM's but never 102's (see bottom pic); in my data collection it is termed 'old type tiller'... I thought that the 102's only have the the tiller handle in the top picture and the one fitted to an AD for example.

Cheers
BP
Attachments
new tiller handle.PNG
new tiller handle.PNG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 791 times
old type tiller.jpg 1.jpg
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter