Blaxland Outboard

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Blaxland Outboard

Post by Hugz »

Has anyone got a Blaxland outboard? I rather fancy one. Circa 1963 Australian build.
March '63 Blaxland.jpg
AusAnzani

Re: Blaxland Outboard

Post by AusAnzani »

G'day Hugz,

The Blaxland is just a rebadged Hurricane Water cooled outboard. If you take a look here, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4930&p=40630&hilit ... ane#p40630 you'll see some info and pics on one I was working on while back. Unfortunately I couldn't find the parts to progress that one to completion, however I have since found another complete unit that I will be reworking in the not too distant future.

There is also a reference on "The Board" http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=1013.0. As you scroll down though that thread, you'll find a couple of images confirming the above.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
notav8

Post by notav8 »

I have a Hurricane or Blaxland. It has the air cooled Hurricane engine. Looks the same as pictured, just not water cooled.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Mark, pop up a couple of photos please. One of the overall outboard and another of the gearbox would be great.

As far as I know, Hurricane produced 2 models only. The air-cooled hurricane king with a mid section and gearbox same as the very early Waterboy, and the water-cooled unit as pictured.

I have however also seen a couple of air-cooled engines fitted to water cooled legs, so it will be interesting to see what you have there.

Regards
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Here is a couple of pics of my Blaxland ? Hurricane outboard.
Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Thanks. Rather flash.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Interesting Notav8.

That one has neither the standard clipper gearbox or the water cooled version that I know of.

To the best of my knowledge, the Blaxland was only water-cooled and with a blue cowl so I would say what you have there is a Hurricane by Hurricane. Unfortunately it's missing the decals, so it's hard to say for sure.

Does the rope sheave have the Hurricane name embossed in it?

Regards
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hi S,
Yes, it has the HURRICANE in the starter pulley. It would of had a recoil starter originally , and the mounting holes are there.
So, I think its a Blaxland ?, using a Hurricane motor.
Cheers
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hugz,
It may look nice, but it needs a resto. Its all there and should be a goer, but I haven't tried it.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

notav8 wrote:Hi S,
Yes, it has the HURRICANE in the starter pulley. It would of had a recoil starter originally , and the mounting holes are there.
So, I think its a Blaxland ?, using a Hurricane motor.
Cheers
All the Hurricane cowls had the holes for the recoil starter option whether fitted or not.

Also as said earlier, I believe all the Blaxland labelled units were water cooled. I'll try to find the documentation for you, but I'm pretty sure what you have there is a Hurricane outboard, not Blaxland.

Will let you know.

Regards
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Me again lol

If you check the advert posted by Hugz, you will see that the gearbox is very different to the one fitted to yours. You will also see in the text water cooled.

Yours is also missing the chrome plated carry handle and have a thinner diameter drive tube. The water-cooled has a larger diameter drive tube to allow for the internally fitted copper water pipe. That would exit the tube via a fitting ie in much the same way as that on a Seagull 102, then a separate pipe up to he top of the cylinder.

If I remember right, commentary re the Blaxland only being made with the water-cooled engine was posted on one of the forums, possibly Vintage Mowers or The Board.

Regards
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hi you again lol,
Yes you are correct. I do remember reading that the Blaxland were water cooled. I also think that I have a plain old Hurricane Outboard.
Its on the Resto list.
Im on the lookout for a chrome plated carry handle picture, and a chrome plated carry handle .lol
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi M,

The carry handle is easily fabricated. I'll send you some photos and a template also in the mail if you wish. Just let me know when you're ready to start the resto and all will be delivered at that time.

Regards,
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hi S,
Thanks for your offer. I have seen a couple of pics, and yes, its probably easy enough to make one. It is still a little way off, before I can get to it, so no rush for the template.
Cheers