No spark

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

malachy higgins
No spark

Post by malachy higgins »

Morning all.

I have just got an old seagull serial FPC 1723AA9 Jan 1979. There is no spark at the plug and someone has suggested it my be the points that are the problem. Are the points located in the same compartment as the pull cord and do I have drill out the rivets to get access to the points. If I'm taking off this cover there are no components that may "spring" out Please attachments seagull and seagull1 which may explain the problem more clearly. Any information that could be provided to this problem would be appreciated.

Malachy from Galway
Attachments
seagull1.JPG
seagull.JPG
Keith.P

Re: No spark

Post by Keith.P »

Its just the same as a normal seagull, if you take off the recoil cover you will see a flywheel with a cone on top of the flywheel, depending on which flywheel you have, you may have to remove the cone to gain access to the points.
Clean the points and try again.
malachy higgins

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. It's getting recoil cover off that's the problem as it appear quite solidly secured . Do the rivets have to be drilled out.

Malachy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Unscrew the 3 x 1/4" bsf bolts holding the flywheel cover in position, the recoil & cover will lift off, there are two holes in the top of your flywheel which will give access to the points, clean twice & set to 20 thou or 0.5mm.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
malachy higgins

Hi.

Thanks for all the advice. I just realised that the 3 screws holding the recoil cover in place are underneath the casing and require a 12 mil spanner. Next time I will be more observant. I leave looking at the points until tomorrow as I'm currently at work and don't have access to a feeler gauge.

Malachy
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

You need imperial spanners, bare that in mind. Only some of the later models have metric nuts and bolts.

Regarding your model usually it's not a coil problem when you don't have spark. More likely it's the points that needs cleaning or the HT lead or the spark plug.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
malachy higgins

Morning all.

I have adjusted the points to 20 thou and still no spark. However, having said that the plug leaves a lot to be desired so I may leave it until I get a new plug. What is the compression like on this model.

Malachy
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Compression up to 100psi. What about the HT lead?
phil

Post by phil »

Did you clean the points? Or only adjust them, they have to be properly cleaned if you expect to gt any spark.
malachy higgins

Hi.

Yes, I was going to ask a question about the HT lead as it looks quite difficult to get out. Will be offline for several days as I'm travelling home from work and I don't have a computer/internet at home.

I only adjusted adjusted the points
malachy
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Well you need a video, I will try to make something when I'll get back home tonight.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I would clean the points using fine wet and dry folded in half and put between the points when closed, the spring pressure will then allow the wet and dry to clean the points faces. Once you ave done that use clean white paper and again move up and down until do dirt is shown. Finally adjust points again to 020".

Now check your spark plug and HT lead. A continuity check on the lead is a good idea, and also check the spark plug cap too. If still no spark then you might need to check out the coil.
malhiggins

Post by malhiggins »

Hi all.

Someone on another broad suggest use a socket that fits the big nut on the flywheel connected to an electric drill spin the engine over for a few min's and it should charge up and give a spark. Is this true.

Malachy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There is no logical reason reason why it would do anything at all, apart from causing some bearing wear if the fuel tap is closed.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think the reason that this sometimes work, is that at a good drill speed it would make a dying coil work well, also for points that haven't been cleaned.
I have never even though about using a drill, saying that I have never had a seagull I couldn't start, I don't think it helps matters, when you need to remove the flywheel.