Juvenile seagull FVP 5750

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Juvenile seagull FVP 5750

Post by Hugz »

Weird little things ain't they! Cursory inspection looks ok. Low compression, no cracks haven't checked spark yet. I find the extended tits on the tank a tad erotic. Hadn't realised how tiny the tank is.
FVP.JPG
1951/52
FVP1.JPG
Tis older than me. Seems to be missing any decent dents in the tank, not to worry easy fixed. Must be thicker gauge brass than later tanks.
FVP2.JPG
Shear spring? Bugger that, a bit of fencing wire will do.
Last edited by Hugz on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stelios_Rjk

Re: Juvenile seagull FVP 5750

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Sexy it is!!

Don't worry for the low compression. Mine reached 40 psi with new piston rings and some honning.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

And it is summer here. Imagine in winter :shock: Crikey, I'm not honing her out, we have laws about that sort of thing downunder.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

AAAAHHH
aint it cute

Use a nice oily fuel mix when you run it up HUGZ (it might help to bring the compression up a tad.Start with 8:1 and see how it goes)

i must get one of these for myself to keep the FV company on the rack!

jon
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Hugz,
'Weird little thing'? You have got the big version - compared to the FV!

It looks a clean tidy example. I couldn't quite see the transom bracket, but it looks good. Presumably the tiller is the 5" Stub version?
It would have been produced in earlyish 1951.
I will add it to the data sheet.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The transom looks right, with a little TLC it should be a nice little motor, even the fuel cap it at the right end. :roll:
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Good Score Hugo

:wink:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Keith.P wrote:The transom looks right, with a little TLC it should be a nice little motor, even the fuel cap it at the right end. :roll:
Better than the left end :lol:

Thank for the tip off Bruce, Seagull networking at its best. 460k trip to get here in a relay of three travelers at no cost. Love the generosity of the country folk. The leg from Canberra to Sydney was in a Porsche Carrera, this flirty little juvenile uses her assets to get the best. Think I better isolate her for her own good. How do you desex a gull?
Last edited by Hugz on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Transom bracket looks good. Requires a clamp washer, 90degree tilt pin and thrust block (cotton wheel type), availability of parts?
FVP3.JPG
Carb inlet missing. They are a round one me thinks.
FVP4.JPG
Yep, short brass tiller arm. Did they have a grip?
FVP5.JPG
Slotted brass box filler cap.
FVP6.JPG
lookee here... A height adjuster with locking wire through the stud head. Is that rare for forties?
FVP7.JPG
5 pics per post. Is that more than the last server?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Bit more good news. This motor has only been used in fresh water on the Murrumbidgee River near Hay. The chap that sold it got it from his Dad (84) who used it with his brother when they were lads. He is going to find out more info for me.

Plain cover magneto and I have spark.
Collector Inspector

You are having some REAL FUN Aye?

These are so 8)

So far all looking and sounding a very good little project.

Keep the pics rolling in Mate.

Maybe leave as found original so do not clean it. :lol:

B
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Hugz,

You have a good one there.

Yes, it should have a 'cotton reel' thrust block. There are plenty around, but if you get stuck, I have got a spare. These small 4" plated transom brackets were just used on FV/FVPs. The security bar (at least on early ones) was a plated (nickel?) brass one with a flattened end.
It isn''t a height adjuster. The clamp ring stops the leg falling off! Although by now it will be probably difficult to pull out when the clamp ring is loose. The locking wire was i think, apart from its usual function, to discourage owners from undoing it it in order to loosen the steering friction. This should be done by undoing the screw above it. The effect of loosening the clamp ring when on a dinghy might be surprising!!
The stub tillers on the FV/FVP should be about 5" long and fitted with a 'Dover' grip. The throttle lever should be one of the long spindle Villiers. I am never sure whether Villiers or BS bent them up slightly or whether it was subsequent owners.
The carb, as you indicate, should have an inlet. I can see that the throttle shutter doesn't have an air hole. This is correct. The bowl probably won't have the later drain hole near the top. It should have a throttle stop on the top cover.
The looped fuel pipe looks in good order and is correct for this FVP. Later on they were changed to a simple 'U' shape.
Well done for getting this nice FVP.
Jeremy
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good info Jeremy. Seeing nothing seems to be needed to fix I might throw her in the bath and give her a run. I prefer the distressed look. Apparently it is the "in" thing. And I thought it was me being lazy.

Ah ha! Here would be the original dealer as I bought the motor from Wagga Wagga. (A terribly british name..what)
baby british seagulls.jpg
Maybe I should take a holiday around there. Must be where fresh water gulls abound.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oh goody... dont you love it when you buy a box of bits and years later you find the bit you want. Ok, anyone prepared to pull their FVP throttle apart to see what I'm missing apart from the spring? I'm thinking a washer or two and the shape of the middle fastener.
Attachments
FVP8.JPG
Collector Inspector

Always buy BITS!

B