serial numbers for a 102

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

erle bartlett

serial numbers for a 102

Post by erle bartlett »

I gather this is a 102 model, but I can't find the serial numbers. Any suggestions?
chris

Re: serial numbers for a 102

Post by chris »

probably a TC model from the 60's
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Thanks Chris!

A couple of questions that will display my seagull maintenance ignorance;
..The gearbox contents have turned into a sticky brown gel, is there a suitable solvent or is a strip down the best method to clean?
..I wanted to clean the carby, but the float and needle seem to be retained in the bowl, should they be coming out easily?
..The bent over end of the long clutch engagement rod? is rubbing and catching on the band around the top of the exhaust tube (see pic), is there a common solution for that?
..Is there an effective way to straighten bent transom thumb screws in situ or are they best removed and replaced?

Despit the neglect and the holes full of wasp nests, the basic internals are looking good, plenty of compression, spark and a clear cooling system. The outside should clean up alright. The hardest part is asking and waiting for advice so I don't stuff it up by doing the wrong thing, quite a different approach from my usual "bull at a gate" approach.
phil

Post by phil »

To do a nice job of the gearbox it needs to come apart, get the rear cover off, screws out, prop off, tap on prop shaft gently to help the rear cover come off. Loosen screws of any rings behind prop outside the front cover. Remove screws in outside of front cover. Tap off by tapping on rear of propshaft. Save the shim washers from the propshaft in the order you found them. Should be obvious from there ( ie. can't remember at the moment, seniors moment or day ) may be covered in FAQ section linked from homepage.

The float needs to be pulled off the needle to let the needle drop out the bottom , remember or note which notch on the needle the float attached to.

Can't see the clutch shaft well enough but often they are set to catch there to make sure the clutch stays unengaged until you actually want to use it.
The transom clamp where it bears on he boat transom should be flat, again can't adequately see it, it may have been caused by accident or on purpose.

Too risky to try bending back in place, remove, anneal, straighten when cold, run the proper die over it to touch up threads after hammering die 7/16" x 19 BSF, actually 7/16 x19 N.F. is so close it will work in a pinch.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

ERLE

send me a PM on what you want to know or do with your seagull and i'll help in any way i can.
It takes far too long going backwards and forwards on different posts (as you say, waiting for a response etc.) when 2 or 3 messages will do it.

102's are my thing (i love 'em to bits)
:D

JON
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Here are some pics to show progress.

Prop and broken spring come off to reveal just how bent the propellor shaft is!

And this is what's in the gearbox.

Cleaned up a bit.

The other side of the equation. It's not nice, but at least there was plenty of it!

A couple of bits that need replacing.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

erle bartlett wrote: Image

A couple of bits that need replacing.
I would make a new stainless prop shaft, bit of 1/2" stainless bar.

H/A

PS don't loose the thrust washers.
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:
I would make a new stainless prop shaft, bit of 1/2" stainless bar.

H/A

PS don't loose the thrust washers.
Drilling and milling SS are a bit beyond my capabilities, unfortunately :cry:
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Just by chance I found this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-SEAGU ... 35e1f88857 looks the goods!

Unfortunately they won't post to Australia, even when I offered to accept all risks myself. I wonder if anyone in the UK would act as an intermediary postal forwarder for me? I would use Paypal for international money transactions.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

I have 3 direct drive boxes in brisbane with good shafts, but i don't think there interchangable with the clutch box, i think the crown wheel is fixed on them.
Pm me if they will help.

Andrew.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Thanks for the offer Andrew. Unfortunately my advice has been that the prop shafts are not interchangable between the clutched and direct driven models. Bugger!
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

looking fairly normal in there ERLE?

as you say, plenty of it , whatever IT was!
save your old 2 stroke mix for cleaning this goo and it'll soon look better. (don't loose the thrust washer/s as there might be 2, 1 thick one and 1 thin one)

slowly but surely you'll get there :P

jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'll check to see what I've got, I might be able to help. have you checked with John as SOS?
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Oyster 49 wrote:I'll check to see what I've got, I might be able to help. have you checked with John as SOS?
Not yet, very busy over the weekend and more tomorrow. Time for a few emails next week to see what John has. I'll be looking for other problems too before I finalise an order, once I get the chance to pick up a spanner again.