thick gasket

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

jeff

thick gasket

Post by jeff »

hi,I would like to ask the wizards who are the keepers of seagull secrets, what is the reason for the very thick gasket tween the g.box and pump housing? my best guess is possible distortion because of the exhaust heat at one end. I would also like to know the gear ratio on a 102 gearbox that is fitted with the four square blades prop similar to a 40+ prop? many thanks and carry on with the good work.cheers Jeff
Michael

Post by Michael »

If it is original, probably 2.5 to 1.
You can check it yourself. Put a mark on flywheel (eg tape) and another mark on prop. Turn flywheel, counting revolutions required to make prop turn 360 degrees - there you have your gear ratio
John@sos

Thickness of the water plate gasket...

Post by John@sos »

Never questioned why, odd that, you could be right, but on a lot of models they used thin tuphnol gaskets at one time, could not see the advantage, now all but the model 90 have the thick card ones.

They are never a great seal and the waterpump will work even if the joint is distorted and open.

will leave that query open.

Gearboxes.. yes the FP and the Century used the same box. seagulls way of saving money, you will find many parts are interchangable!

Regards,
John
SOS