Alkylate petrol and Seagull?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Lahtinen

Alkylate petrol and Seagull?

Post by Lahtinen »

Hello everyone, here's another newbie from Finland with 40 Featherweight '74 that i've got from my friend. I'm working on basic service as the motor has been stored a few years without running, but it seems to be OK - just some seals, spark plug etc. to be replaced.

My question is, have anyone tried and run it with alkylate petrol? It supposed to be better for small engines, as it burns cleaner and doesn't have that nasty smell. I'm just wondering if it works OK with these older machines? Experience, anyone?
Keith.P

Re: Alkylate petrol and Seagull?

Post by Keith.P »

Aspen 2 is a ready-mixed petrol with 2 % fully synthetic two-stroke oil. Aspen 2 is used for all two-stroke engines except outboards, which need the addition of a special outboard oil.

Unless you wish to add extra of the special (expencive) oil to your motor, so it will be oily and smelly, or is that pretty much defeating the object.
Lahtinen

Post by Lahtinen »

That's right Keith, I saw that you have Aspen produts in UK. We have similar product here in Finland by Neste.

In any case I have to buy 4T petrol and mix it with 10% of outboard oil; of course it's oily and smelly :D I'm just pondering between "regular 98" car stuff and alkylate petrol, and I was looking for other Seagull users experience on the subject, if there is any.

I think I'll give it a try anyway. It's less smelly and poisonous than regular petrol that has benzene and aromatic hydrocarbons. I'll report here how (if) it works :wink:
chris

Post by chris »

what is alkylate petrol, in over here in australia I don't think it exists
chris

Post by chris »

just googled it, we would have it over here for sure
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Aspen is becoming more popular in the UK, less smoke no added alcohol.
Chainsaw users are starting to use more of it but it is very expensive.

If you could run at 50 to 1 it might be worth a try.

http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It's more than twice the price of pump fuel, I think methanol is cheaper.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Lahtinen

Post by Lahtinen »

Same here in Finland, about twice the pump fuel price... But that's insignificant, for my use the annual consumption won't be that much. More important, it's far less toxic - that goes with exhaust fumes as well. I think it was developed in Sweden for professional lumberjacks, and today they are obligated to use it by law (occupational safety and health act).

I cannot leave my outboard in the boat (it would be stolen in no time), I have to take it home every time in my car, and keep it in the storage of our apartment. So the petrol without smell would be ideal for me.

It's been quite a hit here. One significant benefit is that it won't goo up the engine in winter storage - you don't have to drain the engine for that (of course the fire safety shouldn't be ignored) 8)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Who do you work for?
Lahtinen

Post by Lahtinen »

My apologies if that sounded too much advertising; that's not my intention. I just like the idea of that product. I try to curb my enthusiasm and keep my comments on my own experience from now on. I'm sorry I got carried away.

And for the record: I have no ties whatsoever to any petrol companies (I work for a small carpentery that makes wooden doors) :)

edit: It came clear that nobody has experience using a.p. in Seagull; I've got my answer. Moderators are welcome to delete this topic, if it violates the forum rules or offends someone.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You carry on.

Let us know how you get on.
chris

Post by chris »

so does this mean this fuel would be good for storage of 2 stroke which means no disposing of stale fuel
Lahtinen

Post by Lahtinen »

chris wrote:so does this mean this fuel would be good for storage of 2 stroke which means no disposing of stale fuel
So I've been told. But I won't have first hand knowledge until may 2015 ;)
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Alkylate fuel will be OK but remember that it will still need the 10 to 1 mix which will make it smoke and in consequence smell a bit. On the second subject of storage because of the high percentage of oil (modern chain saws run on 50 to 1 ) you should still drain off the mix if you store it for long periods as the oil will tend to settle out and gum up the carb.

I have a couple of gulls that have never had the head or crankcase disturbed, one of which I have owned and used in salt water for the past 40 years (and still use) with nothing more that a new plug so I don't think you will better the life by using Alkylate.

don't forget the gearbox oil (140) and the requirement to keep that topped up and changed. It will also leak a little, both letting a small amount of water in when operating and a little of the resultant emulsion out when stored

Its all part of the charm of Seagulls and why we are passionate about them. Its like your grandfather who smokes and tends to dribble, but we love him just the same.

AJ
Lahtinen

Post by Lahtinen »

Valid points, AJ, thanks. I'm sure it will run just fine with regular petrol; the biggest issue for me is the smell. As I told earlier, I have to carry it back and forth in my car, and keep it in the common storage of our apartment house, so I'd like to minimize the gasoline smell.

I don't really know if that alkylate petrol will work at all in my Seagull; I'm going to try anyway. I'll report how it works - it will be some time next week propably.