"Adequately powered" Orkney

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Robin Anderson

Re: "Adequately powered" Orkney

Post by Robin Anderson »

The Longliner has been a great little ship in her first season - due of course to the two beauties on the transom. Have clocked up dozens of hours of running - they have both proved to be excellent engines- start on first or second pull and totally reliable. Used her for watching the Fowey week fireworks. Had to rig some battery nav lights for the fireworks..
Also gave us grandstand seats for the Red Arrows display....
The lack of reverse gear certainly sharpens us one's boat handling as I can't find where they fitted the handbrake. The only real nuisance factor is that the Hydrofan props pick up all sorts of weed - especially on spring tides when more junk comes off the foreshore. Think I will have to go for the weedless option - will be interesting to see how they do for thrust in comparison to the old style Hydrofan.
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

ImageImage

Hey Guys look what Gerard bought, after seeing Robin's comments on his Orkney. I'm not sure if this is an Orkney but it has similar looks. I'll take more close up pics tomorrow and hopefully we will get some suggestions as to the exact type of boat it is.

It requires a bit of tidying up as the last owner decided to paint it roughly. Otherwise it can go in the water once I put the windows back in, but that won't be rushed. I have a good Century, and a 40+ with clutch to get me around the bay, but I'm going to buy a 15hp for more adventurous voyages. Roll on next season, ha ha.

Gerard :D
phil

Post by phil »

A piece of 10 or 12 gauge wire fastened about 15mm in front of the lower unit water intake will be of some help with the weed. The harbour I used to sail from was choked with eel grass which required clearing from the lower unit every couple of minutes when running the Silver Century motor.

I can email you a photo of the modification if you are interested.

I did find that it was no problem for a 3 hp Johnson or Evinrude from the 50s early 60s with the angled lower unit and the weedless prop.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

I like that wee blue boat, not an Orkney methinks - the 13 ft Orkney Spinner is not so cut away at the transom. Forget about the 15 horse though, the Gulls will be fine...
Am still cruising in the Longliner...
I like the idea of a weed cutting line - but my boat takes the ground at low water so I guess it would not work.
Still, once you get away from the weedy areas there is much fun to be had....

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

And yes for the sharp eyed, that is a tinny of Carlsberg on the transom shelf..... essential to avoid severe parchment of the gullet...
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Robin the wire normaly goes from the top gearbox end cap screw to the front lower unit retaining bolt/screw.

Not a magic pill but keeps the water flow going longer, I have seen them on an extended forward cav plate, hull permitting.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

That's the best of a displacement hull -- safe at sea and doesn't need a big engine. Nice looking boat.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Thanks lads. I'm very pleased with my purchase, can't wait to get it looking good and in the water. As I say, I have a century (which I believe is about 5hp) so I'm confident it will give me enough power to have some relaxing cruises up the Firth of Clyde, and up around the islands of Cumbrae and Bute.

Gerard :D :D :D
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

... As I say, I have a century (which I believe is about 5hp)...

Hmmm ... so it's not a normal Seagull, Eh?
Arbian

Post by Arbian »

Rob Ripley wrote:I noticed a few of them when I was in the Isle of Skye a few years ago.
The one in this pic is an Orkney Strikeliner which is a semi planing hull (rated to 25hp) also rather nice boats!
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Yeah, the Orkney boats are nice. My boat, although not an Orkney, has similar looks and that was the big attraction for me. I've now been offered a 10hp Suzuki outboard. It's 12 years old but never seen the water, so I'm well pleased. With my Century and Suzuki, 'llI have two good engines to choose from, with ample power from either to push my vessel.