Seagull Race, Midlands

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

kevinemery

Seagull Race, Midlands

Post by kevinemery »

Dear Forum Members
On another post HA asked me if there were any suitable venues in the Rugby area for seagull racing, its took a bit of searching but I have found somewhere.
Please look at this link. http://chasewaterski.co.uk/ its not in the Rugby area but quite central in the UK.
They have two hundred acres of water, very good facility's and no speed restrictions, £500.00 per day to close the lake (20 boats @ £25.00 each).
I do not mind organising the event if enough people are interested but would appreciate help from more established forum members as I have no experience of seagull racing, I would very much appreciate someone to come forward as treasurer. We could make it a charitable event if enough people are interested.
I am quite excited about the potential race and welcome your views.

Kevin
The Tinker

Re: Seagull Race, Midlands

Post by The Tinker »

A very risky thing to try and organise in UK as it seems that plenty will say they will come but only two or three will turn up. I would not try and organise any thing that has the potential to cost you money.
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

I thank you for your advice.
I got the impression that members wanted to race but could not find a venue.
I have learnt my lesson, they want to talk about racing only.
Enough said.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

What about asking people to submit their participation and 30pounds until October the 1st for an event that would take place on the second half of October?

You gather £500.00? Perfect!
You gather more than £500.00? You return the additional amount of money.
You gather a lot less than £500.00? You cancel the event and return the money to the guys that wanted to participate.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

Not really the spirit I was hoping for.
I have told you the venue, you go for it.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Good idea, but I don't think there are more than a handful of forum members in the midlands. I've previously found a nice spot, with good access, camping at around £25 including launch fees. Zero response. So please don't spend any money!

The Hayling Island bash last year was good fun, shame it did not happen this year.
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

I am confused and disappointed; I really thought that some seagull owners would want to race in the UK.
What is the point of having a racing engine or hull if you’re not going to race it?
I am not criticizing the event in Cornwall in anyway and I would happily travel there for a race but it’s not a race if there are speed restrictions. The cost of staying there on Christmas week must rule it out for most members.
Are there any potential Seagull racers out there, I will travel anywhere in the UK I only suggested the place I found because I thought that there was a shortage of venues and if 20 or more people wanted to race it was affordable. You can even camp there.
The trouble with forums’ is they are full of talkers not doers.
Oyster 49 I wish I was a member when you found your spot, I would have been there.
As for the plonker that suggested that I try to and run the event and then cancel it if there is not enough interest, well words fail me. I presume that you are an employee and have no experience of business. How could I book out the lake for a day and then cancel it, giving the honest people that run it no chance of re-booking it.

Your silence is deafening.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Kevin
There are 3 serious Seagull racers between London & Dartmoor, myself 115 miles from your proposed venue, H-A 140 miles & Markhld 165 miles, I usually run a modified 170, H-A a modified Century & Mark a stock Century, though most of us can be flexible on motor types.
An indication of when your thinking of this happening might help & what classes of Seagull & boats you think might be most suitable for this venue.
Getting 10 entrants from the whole of the UK would be a very good result!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Or you could come to NZ with your engine we will supply you a boat and do the Waikato River Event. Two days, 84 miles and lots of smiles and best of all lots of friendly contestants.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

This is how it is done in NZ a small event we had last weekend, watch video clip at bottom of page

http://seagulloutboard.boards.net/index ... 104&page=1
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

Tinker
Well I am unsure if your just being friendly or rubbing my nose in it?
Really cant understand where you find so many Seagull owners that want what looks like a fantastic day out in NZ.
How did you get on in the race, is your engine heavily modified and did you build your own hull?
After the shocking news that there are only 3 people in the UK that would race I have given up on racing Seagulls for now, but live in hope.
Rather than build a race boat or engine this winter I am going to build a Barton Skiff http://intheboatshed.net/free-boat-plan ... atshednet/
I have built some of Gavin's other boats with great success and think this should suit a Seagull very well.
:mrgreen:
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

This was intended to tempt you to come out to NZ and race if you are interested. :) :) :)
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

Wish I could
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

The invitation is open you just have to arrive we will find you a boat and engine.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Tink you forgot the bits about "more beer than you could possibly drink, & the best fishing, like 18+" trout, snapper & blue cod some of the best eating fish you will ever sink a fork into"!

The most difficult bit is fighting off Kiwi hospitality!

Don't worry Kev the motor won't be too fast for you they don't do fast Seagulls!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.