Dam I hate being right.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david doyle

Dam I hate being right.

Post by david doyle »

Recieved the following reply to my inquiry as to wether British Seagull/ John Freeman Sales Ltd sources their new stock spares in the UK.

Moderated by CharlesUK.
Thank you for your email. As British Seagull is still a fully functioning
company organising the manufacture and supply of spare parts for existing
British Seagull outboard engines we are reluctant to provide internal
company information.

If you have British Seagull outboard engines we are happy to provide spares
availability as long as you provide the correct engine serial numbers.
--

Yours sincerely

British Seagull, Moulsford, OX10 9HU

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.britishseagull.co.uk
Tel: +44(0)1491 652755 Fax: +44(0)1491 652990
Shopping hours – 10.00am – 3.30pm Sunday to Thursday (summer)

Part of the John Freeman (Sales) Ltd group of companies.
VAT No. GB 462 1376 58
Registered in England 2092311. Registered office as above.

E&OE - Prices subject to change without notification.

On 16 August 2013 22:00, <ddoyle@omnitechenvironmental.ca> wrote:

>
>
> Dear Jackie:
>
> I am a keen British Seagull fan and got to wondering about the current
> state of the companie's spares manufacturing. Could you please tell me
> what spares are currently manufatured in the UK? Also wondering where you
> print your service manuals and parts lists. Basically I am wondering if
> British Seagull sources new spares inside or outside the UK. If spares are
> being manufactured in the UK could you please let me know where?
>
>
> Best regards and thanks
>
> David Doyle
> British Columbia
> Canada
John@sos

Re: Dam I hate being right.

Post by John@sos »

Frankly I found this offensive. You will see your comments have been edited by the moderators, not before I saw it though.

If this was a food product that could adversely effect your health I could see some justification for the letter to Seagull. But it is not. David I do not see you on my customer base, I have not sold you products in the past year but you are seemingly happy to use this forum, to ask questions of the main supplier that I feel are unjustifiably intrustive. Where a company sources its material is the perogative of the company alone. To ask for the addresses of suppliers makes one wonder if you want to short circuit the supply chain or maybe start up a business of your own? No company is going to reveal their suppliers, what were you thinking?!

I should perhaps inform you that British Seagull these days is Jackie and her two sons, and they run a boatyard so only help occasionally. There is no large workforce, just Jackie. Likewise here, there is just me and my wife. We all try to supply seagull owners with enough reliable parts to keep these vintage motors running. At this end it is done more for love, I have a hobby gone crackers. but I have to declare every penny to the tax man as I am on a police pension....

Just out of interest you might like to know that the only parts that are not UK manufactured and supplied, to my knowledge, are the new Villiers ignition coils that I recommend. (I do not sell them as I send all ignition enquiries to George of www.villiersparts.co.uk) George has items made for ignitions in Taiwan, because there is no manufacturer in the UK that can supply. These parts use modern materials and easily will last 20 years plus, thus keeping Seagulls flying.

Far better to use a spare from China or India than commit a Seagull to the skip!

John
SOS
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

I have to say this. But i have no idea why you would even ask such a question???. :?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I read that first up and was really surprised. I did not comment.

DD, maybe a few days and get back to the forum?

Time heals...............I Know how these things happen myself :oops:

Maybe an apology is all.................Never a Reason.......

Just a thought.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
phil

Post by phil »

It's safe to say that there are obvious differences in attitude and perception when one compares the U.K. to North America.
Both viewpoints and reactions are understandable. Especially so when a person works hard and pays to provide a great forum site and parts service to Seagull owners.

Being from Canada, it does not seem that DDs info request was really out of line except for wanting to know where in the U.K. Parts might be sourced and for posting it on this particular site. I doubt whether he expected to get an address, as no sane business person would give that out.

If I, in a similar situation was asked that question along with the others, my response might have been to say, our parts suppliers are located in this part of the U.K. ( ie Wales, N. Ireland etc.) whatever the case might be. Or perhaps just that the suppliers are located in the U.K.

In my mind it is a business opportunity that could be turned to Seagulls advantage. After all not many companies at least in North America could say the same thing and the perception is always there that every company gets stuff from China now.

As for Taiwan, over here at least they are thought of as one of the higher quality manufacturers.

Hopefully no real harm has been done.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Ridiculous and outright bizarre question to ask in my opinion. Does it matter who manufactures what and where? It's who supplies the service to commission, stock and dispatch parts that count. Thanks John, and thanks British Seagull for still being here.
mrford

Post by mrford »

Hi my name is Vic and I am from north jersey U S A . I am an antique car guy and am aware of many little businesses that provide parts for our hobbies . Its not easy but such a big help John provides a service and is truly saving old seagulls !!! He is a true gentlemen always polite and helpful ! It has been a pleasure doing business with you guys and the forum and all its contributors has been an big help too!!! Thanks from across the big pond from VIC
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Ive raced ski-boats for 15yrs using mercury outboards with an output of 260 to 280 HP. But now that im married with 3 boys and a mortgage. The ski-boat was no longer my baby and had to go. Having said all of that, Mercury marine has most of there parts made from all 3rd world parts of the globe. And the new Evinrude E-tec series motors that are almost twice as much to buy here in Oz, has there parts, and most of there general use engines done in china. I also own a Husqvarna TE-449. Its got a BMW design motor. But its made in China and then shiped to italy for the assembly line. Our 2 car manufacturers FORD and HOLDEN have there components made in china". Doesnt matter what you get into, or buy and purchase, Everone including the big manufacturers source there gear from outside workplace. Its a fact of life these days, and its something that should go without saying anything.

Sorry guys. Just making a point so we dont have anything offensive like this happening again thats all. We once had a good member on here who dont get on no more because off this type of behaviour, Its a shame :( Hope not to loose the good ones
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

lets not forget the Olympic an Australian Seagull hybrid.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... c-003f.jpg
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Post deleted by moderator due to potentially offensive and libellous content

deleted by charlesp at 09:18