Molassas and spark plug Question

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1650bullet

Molassas and spark plug Question

Post by 1650bullet »

Ive been trying to find throughout the forum a topic on using molassas to preserve spark plugs from rusting. Ive got 2 dozen plugs that i have clean up on the wire wheel and cleaned and regapped the electrode. But i dont know the method of using Molassas. Can anyone help me out please.
phil

Re: Molassas and spark plug Question

Post by phil »

Is this a rust removal attempt for the places the wire brush can't reach?

Not sure if it's the same thing, but some people use molasses 50/50 with water to remove rust from degreased steel and cast iron, it is a slow process think days or weeks.

I have also heard of Coca Cola being used works faster.

There are several products containing phosphoric acid that change rust to a priming surface for paint.
Once the metal is clean and polished somewhat many use gun bluing to return the surface to what it was.

In the U.S. they have a gel product called Naval jelly that works quite well to remove rust after degreasing.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

What i thought it does is to not only remove rust. But to give the surface some sought of protective coating (like a preservative) so it dont rust again
phil

Post by phil »

My understanding is that molasses has a very low concentration of phosphoric acid and that it is only used for rust removal.
phil

Post by phil »

You may know this site but some interesting stuff here including rust removal methods
http://www.smokstak.com/articles/index.html
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

A while ago I posted a thread on using molasses on a block. Worked like a charm. While working with it my nose taught me a lesson. We have here a product called 'rust stop' which "fixes" rust. I have used it on rust spots on my truck and it did just that prevented the spread of rust. While working with that stuff the smell reminded me of my days in boilers where a rust fixative was sprayed on the tubes. Same stuff. To the point. both the home use rust stop product and the industrial boiler product, to my nose, are the same thing as my Black Strap (not fancy) Molasses mix.

Back to the block. After cleaning the water passages, I stripped the paint and found a crack. Left the block on the porch rail and now a month or so later the outside has developed a coat of rust while the water passages and the gasket mating surface that had soaked in mollases for weeks show no sign of rusting.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Ive soaked a plug for 12hours and this is the end result. The one on the left is sought of new with no rust on it. The one on the right has been soaked in molassas after being on the wire wheel. The darkness would be the mixture and has left a micro film on there which would act as a preservative i reckon :!:
Attachments
British Seagull 014.jpg
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

like Phil was saying 12 hours is not the usual dwell period for the treatment more is likely better.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Try putting some white vinegar into a glass jar and plonk a clean and dry (Wash in Metho) rusty plug inside.

Leave in a warm place and check every now and again with a swirl of the jar.

You will see bubbles from the reaction.

Take it out daily and scrub with warm water, dry and replace until happy.

If you have to, use a wire brush delicately by hand along the way.

Could be a couple of days to weeks depending how rusty.

I have had some good results in the past. The original markings will come alive if not wire brushed away.

DSC03511.JPG
19082013477.jpg
Preservation after is wrapping in an oily rag in a cardboard box.

B [/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

I will try vinegar. Yes o know what ya mean about how it will amit bubbles. (bit like a glass of beer) That plug you showed has come up like new and very original. Looks like the only way to preserve them is to wrap them up in an oily cloth,
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Ive had these plugs sitting out in the weather for 4 days after soaking them in the molassas. I removed them and just let them drip dry. It acts like a form of inhibitor, and i will store them in an old cigar box and keep them in my tool box.
Attachments
British Seagull 357.jpg