General opinions - whats a seagull worth?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

robhc1000

General opinions - whats a seagull worth?

Post by robhc1000 »

Evening,
I have grown quite attached to my tatty old 102 and quite fancy adding a couple more to the collection, what do people pay for the models? I have seen one on gumtree, looks like a 102 (could be wrong) no serial number on advert but has a gold flywheel, sold as working £120.
Keith.P

Re: General opinions - whats a seagull worth?

Post by Keith.P »

It all depends on what you want.
Anything with a gold top has a wipac ignition, late 60's onwards I think, some say they are better, I have never had a problem with the older Villiers ignitions myself and prefer them.
Would you like a more vintage motor that can be polished up and make it look original again or a later one that only needs painting, as they usuly have aluminum exhausts not chromed brass and need paining to stop more corrosion, unlike the 50's motors.
A more common gull running but dirty goes for about £20-30 max in the winter, but summertime people are asking up to £150.
Usually 102's are more expensive the older they are, as long as its got all the right parts.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

I would be on look out for another 102 (just so mine does not get lonely in the shed) it would be nice to have a second motor as backup to use when cleaning other one up.

Previous owner painted my 102 and it looks very tatty now, i need to remove old paint, is there a best way of doing it?
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

I have also seen a nice and tidy 40 plus on ebay, would that be suitable for a 10ft fiberglass boat?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

What Worth?

Whatever you wish to pay for a particular year I would think.

Also, what parts you need to get an Old Dear in Fine Fettle.

Also, how large is the Man Shed...............

How many linear meter of racks can it hold aye.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Price out a complete gaurenteed coil/magneto plate for the mdl of interest

Price out a crank for the model pf interest

Price out a set of head bolts, rings, gaskets for the model of interest

Price out a set of BSF wrenches, a service manual and a couple BSF taps

Price out a freshwater non cracked block.

Now deduct this number from either a new in the box POS chinese 2 hp or a nice clean used honda, merc or evinrude.

In short an old seagull should carry a price tag of about zero. Of course we all value them higher then that and they return the favor by providing hours of low cost entertainment and joy. locally I have missed a 50 dollar SD that looked like it left poole yesterday and I have been offered a parts/bit built round head 102 for 450 dollars. No logic or reason to it. decide what you want to pay and that is the number. lots around, not rare, not desirable, not generally loved.

Yes a crisp clean complete 40 plus model is the perfect thing to own for your dinghy. Light as a feather, easy to find parts, no major issues, light as a feather. The 102cc gulls are a labor of love the 64ccs are simply great value for the money. Buy a fresh water one with a wipac. service it and follow Seagulls/Johns maintenance schedule and it will be with you forever. IIRC you are runnning a river in the dinghy. I use a 40 on a 16 foot boat in a river that makes yours look like a placid stream and I have no complaints. Oh did I mention light as a feather?
Williegunn

Post by Williegunn »

Buying or selling? :D
phil

Post by phil »

For what it's worth, I'm usually willing to pay up to $50 ( about 30 GBP ) for a non running reasonably complete Seagull, $100-125 ( about 60-75 GBP) for one that I can see running, again if reasonably complete. If its a model I really want maybe 25% more.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Phil has it spot on for Canada east or west. 100 dollar runners sell in about a month, 50 dollar ones in a couple days and over 150 nothing sells.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

So basically it all depends on what someone is willing to pay for one then, the models local to me are advertised between £100- £150.

So sounds like a daft question, would there be much difference between 102 i have now and a forty +/-on my 10ft boat 2 up in the sea?
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

I would assume the 102 would be alot more powerful and confidence inspiring in a wind, current etc. The only real solution is to buy a nice wipac equipped 40 and try it. Hold out for a minty one. I cannot see oarlock/row lock sockets on your boat so maybe you have real need for a 'back up' motor.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

david doyle wrote:I would assume the 102 would be alot more powerful and confidence inspiring in a wind, current etc. The only real solution is to buy a nice wipac equipped 40 and try it. Hold out for a minty one. I cannot see oarlock/row lock sockets on your boat so maybe you have real need for a 'back up' motor.
We have oars in the boat, dont fancy being stuck in the water with engine trouble :shock: The 102 pushes boat quite happily about 4 knots, might have to go the dark side and buy a modern engine if i wanted to go faster.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

robhc1000 wrote: might have to go the dark side and buy a modern engine if i wanted to go faster.
A nice 6hp OMC twin will make it go well if the transom and hull is strong enough.
6hp 66.jpg
This one is 1966, and a lot cheaper than a modern motor.

H-A
phil

Post by phil »

Or one like shown in this thread from AOMCI
http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB ... 1375485166
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:
robhc1000 wrote: might have to go the dark side and buy a modern engine if i wanted to go faster.
A nice 6hp OMC twin will make it go well if the transom and hull is strong enough.
6hp 66.jpg
This one is 1966, and a lot cheaper than a modern motor.

H-A
Thats is a nice outboard, what would you expect to pay for one of those?