Inline fuel filter

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

frankystein

Inline fuel filter

Post by frankystein »

I've been having problems with the rust inside the steel tank of my featherweight. Rather than get a brass tank I want to use an inline fuel filter. This means that I'm going to have to split the fuel line for my Bing carb. Two questions please;

1. What is the internal diameter of the Bing fuel line?
2. Does anyone know where I get a cheap small fuel filter (flat or pancake)?

Thanks.
david doyle

Re: Inline fuel filter

Post by david doyle »

Tanks are cheaper then filters in your area. Buy a brass tanks and be happy for the next 50 years.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

david doyle wrote:Tanks are cheaper then filters in your area. Buy a brass tanks and be happy for the next 50 years.
Buy a plastic one and be even happier.

H-A
Asallante

Post by Asallante »

Hello, I bought an inline paper filter for my Curlew on ebay recently for about 3 pounds including p&p. 6mm fittings - same for all seagulls I would imagine? Go for a clear one as it allows you to see all the debris and also check the fuel flow at a glance. My filter also contains a little magnet which has picked up some wire wool particles, left over from when I cleaned out the varnished up fuel tap. Out on the water I noticed that the paper filter rotated slightly in the body due to vibration so next time I might go for a different design with a nylon or solid filter material.
frankystein

Post by frankystein »

Hi, I think that the Bing fuel line may be less than 6mm but I don't want to cut until I'm sure. If the diameter is less than 6mm then I may need some inline fuel connectors which reduce from 6mm to 4mm?

Thanks for the response.
Asallante

Post by Asallante »

I wonder with a bit of gentle heat and persuasion could you squeeze a 6mm fitting into a 4mm pipe. Tight fit better than not in this case I think.
frankystein

Post by frankystein »

Perhaps - I'll wait a little while longer to see if someone can give me a definite answer before I cut. Thanks!
mrford

Post by mrford »

Hi Frank why not buy a new line save the original cut the new one it will be softer than the old one and you can get an other new on you can't get the old one that fits your engine perfectly !!! VIC
denchen

Post by denchen »

Theres some special `paint` for doing the inside of rusty petrol tanks. You know then its the original tank for that engine plus you know the bottom is not going to fall out of it if its treated right. Just a thought hope it helps.
frankystein

Post by frankystein »

mrford wrote:Hi Frank why not buy a new line save the original cut the new one it will be softer than the old one and you can get an other new on you can't get the old one that fits your engine perfectly !!! VIC
Well here's what happened: Somehow my old fuel line split - so I had nothing to lose by experimenting. I put the whole fuel line (and connectors from both ends) into hot water to soften it up. it was easy to pull the old fuel line away from the connectors. I bought some new fuel line and an inline filter (6mm) - it all works but the filter is too big (I needed 4mm). I've now ordered a 4mm inline filter from ebay. I'll post up the ugly arrangement I've got - tomorrow hopefully.
frankystein

Post by frankystein »

Here's a couple of photos of my current set up with a filter. I've tried very hard to squeeze the ends of the 6mm filter into the tube but it won't shift. I was using so much force that the plastic filter casing was starting to creek. The 4mm filter should arrive in the next day or so.

I've done my best to clean the inside of the tank, I've used Spirits of Salt (hydrochloric acid - £2.50) which stripped every last bit of rust away and left the metal as new. Then I flushed the tank thoroughly with water several times but it flash rusted soon after drying. I followed this with 2-3 days of phosphoric acid (water + molasses, 10:1 mix). I got the molasses from Holland & Barratt (cheap £2.89). The phosphoric acid is supposed to react with the remaining rust to form a hard, inert black ferric phosphate - which it did to a point but after drying I could still see some flash rust, perhaps I should have left it longer. In the close up shot you can just make out some debris in the petrol - these are bits of the rubber fuel line which broke away as I tried twisting the filter into it.

This was the cheapest way that I could think of to clean the inside of a steel tank. I know that you can buy products that do a better job than the process I've described but the kits cost about £30. My method, although not perfect, costed me about £5. Ok I had to buy a filter (£2) but the steel tank is much tougher than a brass one and I don't have to worry so much about denting it. I've got a nice brass tank but for me the steel works out better for practical purposes.

IF ANYONE IS THINKING OF USING SPIRITS OF SALT (HYDROCHLORIC ACID) THEN BEWARE - IT'S NASTY, DANGEROUS STUFF AND I'M AMAZED THAT IT CAN BE BOUGHT OFF THE SHELF. I USED A 25% SOLUTION AND IT TOOK ONLY A MINUTE TO STRIP THE RUST
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
Last edited by frankystein on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Well done!!

For informative purposes only hydrochloric acid indeed kills rust but some of it always remain in the porous of the steel/iron part. That leads to rusting again and maybe to even stronger rust regarding the conditions. A fuel tank that fuel passes regularly through it, won't be a reason to fear. But removing rust with hydrochloric acid from the water jacket before winter storing could be fatal.

Phosphoric acid is the right stuff and then a flush with water and baking soda to neutralize any remains of acid.

Neat job in any case, you'll enjoy trouble free riding for a long time!
And indeed, nice treated steel tanks guarantee almost no dents!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
frankystein

Post by frankystein »

My 4mm inline fuel filter arrived in the post. I still had to heat the fuel line but it slipped on much easier, and it's a nice tight fit. The pictures are a bit hazy but that's because the engine is running. The final picture shows the end of the hose that I'm using and for anyone who's interested in fitting a new hose line with a 4mm filter to a Bing carb here is what's written on the fuel hose:

CODAN FUEL HOSE BSAU 108/2-L4C4R & SAE J30 R6 WP 12 BAR 3/16" 07048

I measured the outside diameter: 3/8"
I measured the inside diameter: 3/16"

I know it's a bit sad of me to post all this info but it bugged me for ages not knowing the correct specifications to ensure that all of the bits fitted together. I'm sure that someone can do it better and I'm always keen to learn more - so feel free to comment.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG