A sharp intake of breath..(Way off topic)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

A sharp intake of breath..(Way off topic)

Post by charlesp »

I bimbled off intyo Poole the other day in search of thick socks - boot socks - to wear inside my wellington boots next winter. Over the years I must have bought dozens of pairs of boot socks, they never wear out but are normally lost to the fourth dimension where odd socks go. The attrition is rather greater now we have a dog whose sock fetish is only equalled by his fondness for ladies underwear from the laundry basket.

So I wandered into Oswald Bailey, purveyor of all things outdoors, to select a pair. Sure enough over in the corner there was one of those merchandising boards, with socks displayed complete with the relevant sizing information and the like. Nowadays the term isn't 'thick' socks or 'thin' socks or 'medium' socks. One has the choice of 'one season' or 'two seasons' or 'three seasons' socks. I had the same issue with sleeping bags last year when the little girl in Black's of Greenock was completely unable to tell me what it all meant, but by now I'm all clued up.

I chose a pair that looked 'thick enough' (three seasons for those in the know) and meandered over to the till. I was taken completely aback when the spotty youth behind the counter demanded £12.99. 'MNearly thirteen quid for a pair of socks?' I asked, convinced the youngster was tring to sell me the counter as well. 'Yes, he sais, adding helpfully 'You can have two pairs for £20' 'I'm sorry', I replied, "i have obvously taken these by mistake. I'm simply noy going to pay thirteen quid for a pair of socks'.

The boy looked at me with great scorn, and said 'These are Technical socks, and if you must have Cheap Sock then perhaps you should go to Burtons or Marks and Spencer' He actually pronounced the words 'technical' and 'cheap' as though they had capital letters, and he obviously regarded me as the lowest of the low. I said 'That's exactly what I will do', and off I went to do just that.

As it happens I stumbled across Edinburgh Woollen Mills, where they have boot socks for £5, or £8 for two, so I bought a couple of pairs. It was only when I got home that Mary, bless her, asked why I had bought six pairs of boot socks? There were three pairs in each pack.

Questions for the panel:

1) Technical socks? Does anyone believe this sort of stuff, is it the Emperors New Socks story?

2) Are any socks worth thirteen rotten quid?

3) Should I be prevented from going shopping as my wife suggests?
david doyle

Re: A sharp intake of breath..(Way off topic)

Post by david doyle »

1) Technical socks? Does anyone believe this sort of stuff, is it the Emperors New Socks story?

I do not know about 'technical' but I do know about frostbite in -50 c and blisters at 2500 meters with 40 kms down slope to the truck. I would not pay that price for a pair of socks but I do own thin silk socks that live under merino or angora wool socks. Have had very good luck with getting 'technical' grade merino socks on line for about 10 percent of the local sports stores.

2) Are any socks worth thirteen rotten quid?

Yes, good socks are worth more then a Jaguar if you need them. If you do not need them they are worth nothing.

3) Should I be prevented from going shopping as my wife suggests?

When she starts knitting you proper kit you can stop shopping :wink:
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Dont know what 13 quid is in aussie dollars, but i bet its very expensive. When i go out on my motorbike out in the bush (Trail-Enduro riding) I normally wear to pairs of socks. 100% cotton and then Wool over the top. The cooton keeps my feet dry. And the wool keeps my feet well proctected from any harsh rubbing as such. I normally get mine from an army disposals store. real cheap.
Williegunn

Post by Williegunn »

This is a outboard forum, to discuss socks you should join here.http://www.socknitters.com :D
chris

Post by chris »

just visited the socknitters forum and I found there is no mention of seagull outboards whatsoever, so I thought someone should join the forum and start a seagull discussion about the technical aspects of socks :roll: :roll: 8)
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I just had a great washing "Drying Day" absolutely awesome!

My problem with socks is that they actually go to another dimension within the wash. One will always go away and appear next wash at random aye?

My thorts

1. Socks are bought by US
2. Said paid for socks get together and "Plot against the Human Race"
3. You/we wear said plotters, put them into the wash and hang out a deficiency of pairs. Every time.
4. The odd sock then beams and or reports back to a "Sock Mother Planet or Dimension" There is a hidden Sock agenda, believe me.
5. The reporting sock then plots the human race demise obviously.
6. The reporting sock then , as if by magic or trans_mat device suddenly returns within a wash basket for the next hanging out. This sock has the reply as to our demise in the future I am sure.
7. My socks are making strange sounds
8. No, Please NO Mother Of God Noooooooooooooooo "Crunch Crunch Burp Noises"
12. "Are You My Mummy"?
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others