Totally gutted

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

spiderg

Totally gutted

Post by spiderg »

Hi Guys

I'm back to being the owner of a rubber dinghy, alas a last check before securing my new boat shattered my dreams. Having not seen the outboard started, I insisted on doing so before handing over any cash. With hesitance the guy went off and got the key, rigged up a battery and after some hesitance it started. But he didn't have it in water so within seconds he shut it down. I wasn't impressed as I wanted to see it run a bit. Then came the shock, I was told the engine had no identification numbers on it (they had been removed). My instant thought was it is a stolen engine. I then noticed a hatch in the deck, and after inspection I found the wood structure under the fibreglass was rotten. I realise renewing this wouldn't be a massive job but the guy wasn't up for re-negotiating the price, ha ha! Alas, my head couldn't get past the missing engine serial numbers, so I'm walking away from this purchase. Hopefully my dream will come alive again soon, I'll just keep looking out for my wee Shetland 535 somewhere else.

Gerard :(
1650bullet

Re: Totally gutted

Post by 1650bullet »

Yes keep looking and you will be at the wright place at the wright time and it will all be worth it. Good things happen to those who wait. So my wife keeps telling me :? . Actually im getting sick of her saying that to me all the time :lol: :lol:
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

spiderg wrote: missing engine serial numbers, Gerard :(
Engine is nicked, you could call the police.

You did the best thing walking away, another one will turn up.

H-A
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Hope you arn't too deflated. I sure that boat won't be a patch on the one you do get.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

That was not the right boat for you anyway. Take a note from Robin and get yourself an Orkney. Proper boat for a seagull, safe and proven,
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

david doyle wrote:That was not the right boat for you anyway. Take a note from Robin and get yourself an Orkney. Proper boat for a seagull, safe and proven,
I would also love an Orkney 16', but they are desirable and thus quite expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orkney-Longli ... 20d50b57b1

This one is near me but still a bit pricey, one day :) .

H-A
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Here this is in your back yard ( I assume North Ayshire is close to Aryshire?), currently 350 pounds with trailer. No messing around, buy it, use it, enjoy it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/12-FOOT-ORKNEY-S ... ~60_12.JPG

H-A yeah I have been watching the UK sales of Orkneys and the 16-18 footers command a price in keeping with thier utility, the 12 footers seem to go pretty cheap though. When considering the 16 footers really they are not expensie because you know with certainty that you will be able to get most if not all of your money back out of them (how rare is that!) So when you look at the 4K price tag it is not spent money it is simply lent money. You lend the Orkney market 4K and as return on your loan you get use of a good boat. Considering the bank will only give you 1% and grief on a 4K deposit an Orkney is a HUGE bargain!

Sorry for the high pressure pitch but you post such good pics and info I'd love to convince you to buy one so I can enjoy it from afar :lol:
Last edited by david doyle on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I could not get your link to work David, is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-FOOT-ORKNE ... 1c35210ffc

H-A
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

H-A yes, I just noticed though that I was a bit quick on the draw and it is not an Orkney spinner but something akin to an Orkney. If it stays at 350 it would be worth looking at though maybe?

Spiderg: Fear not a man with Cash in his pocket with a bit of patience and knowledge will end up with a nice boat. Do not rush things. Make a list of the 10 boats you would like to own, any known faults with design/construction etc, etc. Also figure out where and how much a trailer would cost. Boats that are not on trailers are often nearly free compared to ones on trailers. You should be ecstatic that the other deal fell thru you got a cheap lesson finding that rotteness in the other boat!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Best thing to do - Walk away. There are a lot of money pit boats out there owned by people who just abuse them. Keep looking, one will turn up where the seller has looked after it and wants it to go to a good home.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Or more likely one will turn up where some guy cared for it and now 'she who is in possesion' wants some money!
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Guys you didn't let me down, I hoped for replies like the ones I got.
And yes, I learned some lessons here. Having viewed the boat several times, it now appears my over enthusiasm let me lose sight on looking faults. To be honest, the faults could be rectified, but to buy some poor sods' stolen outboard isn't me. Like H-A, my wife is pushing me to inform the police.

I'm going to watch closely the Orkney suggested. Had I read my replies earlier I could've viewed it as I passed the marina tonight where it is. However if it goes to another home I will just keep looking.

Thanks again guys, even though I knew it, it's good to be told I made the right decision.

Gerard
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Sometimes it is best to walk away and let nature take it's course. Yeah yeah social responsibility etc but this guy is going to know it was you who called him in and it is likley that the motor was stolen 10 years ago and has had 3 owners since.

I would not balance the pressure you are recieving but the fact that you need to be convinced to call the police on the matter indicates that you have/had reservations. Life is short and Bobbies get health care and insurance companies are rich.
the faults could be rectified
Unless you want to have a new expensive hobby called "boat restoration" get that foolish notion out of your head. Buy a boat that you can enjoy with no more then a lick of paint and new battery.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Every outboard without a serial number is not stolen, it might just have a new cylinder or crankcase,
& if I rang the Police every time I saw a Seagull without a number, they'd find a padded cell just for me.

Every time I build a racing Century, I use a new crankcase as it's cheaper than fitting new bearings & yes I do have the right reamer & a pile of new main bearings.

It would be counter intutitive to remove the serial number if you stole one, as it might look stolen & prove to be a lot harder to sell, ask the owners of 10 outboards at your local marina for the motors serial number , 90% of the more than 5 year old motors owners will have to lift the cover, as that's the only record they have.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

But Charles, would anyone ever steal a seagull outboard :D