40 minus Restoration

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Re: 40 minus Restoration

Post by Collector Inspector »

Looks like it is wire brush time aye!

If you clean it up nicely the cost may come down, Remember to tell the platers NOT to be too aggressive where the box clamps on!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

No suggestions as to an affordable chrome shop?

Before I bite the bullet and cough up £75 for plating, has anybody got a SJM leg in very good condition they would consider selling me? Cash/swaps etc. ready to go :D
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Tank end cap now re-soldered on. No leaks! Lots of prep now required before paint :D
Attachments
102_1274.JPG
david1230

Post by david1230 »

Oyster 49 wrote:Tank end cap now re-soldered on. No leaks! Lots of prep now required before paint :D

A polished brass fuel tank is nice too... :wink:
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

very nice
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Leg is now back from the platers. This was done by Stuart Mann at Classic seagulls for £30. It has turned out very well, and good value also. Thanks to Gannet for the lead for the chroming work! I have opted to make a new stainless exhaust for this engine, as the old one had a cracked at the top, plus it had several deep dents. The stainless tube cost £9 on ebay, I then had to dress out the bore a little to make it fit, plus drill the holes. I now just need to cut it to length, then give it a final polish.

Just the tank to prepare and paint, just the job for a rainy weekend :D A lot of hours required to make these tanks "Just so"
Attachments
Tank ready to prep for paint
Tank ready to prep for paint
Re-chromed driveshaft tube
Re-chromed driveshaft tube
Leg and exhaust
Leg and exhaust
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote: I have opted to make a new stainless exhaust for this engine,
I did that on one of my Centurys but did find that it turned blue at the top after use.

Tank is looking good what sort of paint will you use?

H-A
fastjedi

Post by fastjedi »

I'm liking your exhaust tube ... what diameter / what seller?
Was "dressing the inside of the tube" just a bit of filing?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I bought some 1.75 inch stainless tube from eBay, but the wall thickness is maybe .020" thicker. So I used a small grinding wheel on a Dremel to dress out the bore to achieve a good fit.

For the tank, I use halfords filler primer 3 or 4 generous coats flattened back with 1200 grit wet and dry between coats. Then 2 or 3 coats of black gloss, again flattened back between coats. Finally a final flat back, fix the decal and then 2 coats of petrol resistant lacquer. It will take all week to do the tank, and I'll leave it to harden for a couple of weeks :D

Once all that is done i've found that a light t cut gives a nice slightly dull shine. Job done!

Interesting to hear the experience of stainless tube turning blue, will see what happens.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

What is the brand of the petrol resistant lacquer that you use? Having trouble finding some down under. Any recommendation from Aussies?
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Hugz wrote:What is the brand of the petrol resistant lacquer that you use? Having trouble finding some down under. Any recommendation from Aussies?

VHT, Engine paint (The heatproof stuff) Then go over it with VHT heatproof clear coat.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Excellent. Thanks. Repco are stockists and can order it in for me. Part number SP515.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I have previously used Halfords petrol resistant lacquer but it is fairly soft and takes several weeks to harden, and I've had problems with the spray coming out in blobs. So I'm looking for something else. Has anybody got any experience of this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYCOTE-PETROL ... 20cdb2f8ee
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Tank is now finished, once again with Halfords petrol resistant lacquer. 3 coats applied within half an hour, not too close with the spray and not holding the can still. First coat only a mist over the decal. Touch try within an hour, and now curing for a couple of weeks at least. Looks like a decent finish so far.

The only real problem with this stuff is the time it takes to properly harden :roll:
Attachments
102_1352.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

SJM218 Now finished. :D In the end I opted not to fit the stainless exhaust. I realised the original had very little of the original chrome remaining, so I polished up the brass 8) Looks better than chrome I think. I also polished the inlet, which sets it off nicely. Nice little engine, almost as nice as a little 40 :)

Only new parts needed were paint, decal, fuel tube, tap cork, throttle cable, spark plug and HT lead.
Attachments
As received
As received
102_1398.JPG
102_1395.JPG
102_1394.JPG
102_1393.JPG
Last edited by Oyster 49 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.