2 cycle oil 2 choices Smokeless, ashless biodegradable

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

tjansen

2 cycle oil 2 choices Smokeless, ashless biodegradable

Post by tjansen »

I have a 40 Minus which is 10 - 1 mix. Which helps if anyone is lobbing 5 inchers at me. The link http://www.autochic.com here in USA has the 2 I am interested in but don't know if I should use.

RED223 - Red Line Two-Cycle Smokeless Oil - $3.50 is what I would like.

REDWAT - Red Line Watercraft Two-Stroke Oil - $4.75
An ashless biodegradable lubricant designed for water-cooled outboard and is NMMA TC-W3 lubricant.

I have seen smokeless in airplanes and they are really smokeless and the engines go well. Anyone had any experience with them??

Thanks
Tom Jansen, Colorado, USA
Trying to catch more fish than the Wife!!!
RickUK

2 -stroke oils

Post by RickUK »

Hello Tom - the counsel of perfection would say that you should use the TCW3 which is for water cooled engines which run relatively cool - like a Seagull, but how much difference it really makes on what is a low performance engine . . .
I'm a great believer in synthetic oils compared to mineral oils, as they are more enviro friendly, but I think also hang around more to lube the necessary parts of an engine.
With modern oils, I don't run any of my engines on a mix below 15: 1, but that's a question of personal choice/belief. Rick
ALAN

Post by ALAN »

Hello Tom.

With regards to oils. I bought a brand new Seagull Forty Featherweight some twenty seven years ago. The manual supplied with the engine stated that it should be run on some specification of outboard motor oil and if this was not available, "just use SAE 30 engine oil" which I did and the engine performed perfectly. These engines are of an old design and really do not need the modern oils at breakbank prices. I use a motorcycle two stroke oil in my auxilliary Seagull Forty Plus with much better results and at a much cheaper price! If you say any thing is for marine use, the price usually doubles!

Regards.

Alan
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

You are quite right about the 30 grade oil, and if you can still get it it still will work, As will full lead fuel, but I would not recommend either, lots of ash and carbon and whiskers on the plugs! Remember them!?

However I question the use of twostroke for motorcyles in a water cooled outboard.

The oil will probably work to a degree, but has been designed only to release it's full lubricating qualities at high temperatures, as are normally achieved in air cooled motors. The Marine water cooled twostroke TCW 2 or 3, is specifically designed to work at the lower temperatures our motors work at. Lets face it the water leaving the block should not be too hot to touch!.

Only time will tell in the long run, but they did go to quite some lengths to differenciate and Seagull always recommended the TCW 2 or 3 for that reason.

I also agree that there are alternatives, the biodegradables and the synthetics. however be wary of the recomend on the bottles, that you can further reduce the oil mix.. Seagull do not just use the oil as a lubricant, it is also the crank seal.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
SOS