seagull electric start video

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

PAULT50

seagull electric start video

Post by PAULT50 »

Posted a video of the electric start on you tube, hope you like!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz11j5Mvu9I
Charles uk

Re: seagull electric start video

Post by Charles uk »

An idea from the devil, but a beautiful bit of engineering.

10 out of 10!

H-A if this chap starts thinking about racing, we could be in big trouble.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
PAULT50

Post by PAULT50 »

Too late,Where would i get a rule book?, classes, engine sizes and types to use, hull types?? I don't get a lot of time during the summer months though as i'll be doing mechanic at the 2012 BSB rounds.
chris

Post by chris »

oh dear what sort of abominable sin has been done against the pure essence of simplicity that the seagull represents,
trust the irish to think of this, I want one, excellent work 8)
PAULT50

Post by PAULT50 »

Good thing about it though is it would take about 20min to return everything back to standard, apart from the ring gear on the flywheel it all just unbolts.
chris

Post by chris »

and it doesn't take long to change the flywheel if you have a spare
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Awesome, work!! I want one!! For ALL my motors......

I'd probably draw the line at fitting one to a Marston (if I had one)....but otherwise, they're all fair game.

I'm of the "if it improves it, why not?" school. So I'd fit discs to a 1950's car with drums, for example, as being safer and a great improvement.

It's like replacing a dynamo with an alternator, or rewiring a 6V car to 12V.....

But ya gotta admit....it's probably a "first". Well done, indeed.

Paul any chance you could put together a list of parts used, and amybe do a drawing of what you had to make, for those of us mechanical imbeciles who can't do such things for ourselves???
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Brilliant! all it needs now is an upside down fish bin on the motor to keep the sea water of the motor.
PAULT50

Post by PAULT50 »

Hi Buzzook, parts list is:-

Yamaha fzr400 clutch basket to cut ring gear off (600 poss the same and more common)
suzuki lt80 starter motor
suzuki lt80 starter relay
motorbike battery 7ah or bigger
200mm square of 10mm alloy plate (for bracket)
about 100mm of 12mm alloy round bar (to bore out and make into spacers)
starter button off anything
motorbike twist grip off any bike (lucky all bikes have the same bar Dia. as a seagull)
two 1/4 X 2 inch imp. thread bolts for bolting alloy bracket to crankcases, better fit than metric equivilant
Lots of time
Inability to watch TV (nothing on it i want to see)
And a weird mate with a machine shop

Drawing attched is a rough guide of setup although final fit will have to be done on the engine as meshing the teeth is a bugger. Strangely enough the thing i used to draw the perfect circle for the crankcase diagram in exactly the same size as a housing for a supercharger, funny that.posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=2990#
And for all the people who yearn for an Irish shelia the video was take two as half way through take one mine heard me enjoying myself and went from one of those red headed stunners everyone thinks of staring across a lonely bog land with the wind in her hair to a bear with a sore arse in two seconds flat = bit of house work then take two. Not all there cracked up to be!!
Attachments
09122011222.jpg
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Redheaded 'colleens' indeed!! Sounds like you failed "Housework 1001". Rule 17a) Clause d) states that:

"you shall not be seen or heard to be enjoying yourself until after securing a suitable 'leave pass' or after some equally judicious gravel-crawling antics. [See Appendix A: 'How to avoid gravel rash and chores']"

The mistake you made was starting the motor!! You could have kept on fiddling away in the shed for hours if she hadn't "heard you enjoying yourself"....

...although a quick-thinker might have responded "I'm working on the b*****y lawn mower, luv. Do you want the lawns mowed or not?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the parts list and diagram. Exceptional work, again!
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Fantastic work!
Be ideal for when your going uphill and just need that little bit of uumph to get you over the top. :lol:
I would also think you've cured that age old infliction of hand crankers elbow.Of those that are often seen standing knee deep in freezing cold water muttering to themselves and swearing at the none starting engines @#@#$$#@ #$#@#:lol:
Kiss =Keep it simple stupid
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Pure magic!

I love coming on here to read the posts, not only brilliant bit of engineering, OK the guard is coming, I know, but the banter to go with it!
Well done
John
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

If you're standing in knee deep water and trying to start a Seagull, does that mean you've sunk?? ;) :lol: