Amal carb body repair

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

steve66
Amal carb body repair

Post by steve66 »

Hi does anyone know how to repair amal carb bodies where the fuel union screws in.The tread in the body has completely disintergrated .
Steve
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Much better to get hold of a replacement.

There are a few about, and it's likely to be a lot less trouble than a repair. There's a strong possibility that John has these available, either as just the body or the whole carb.
steve66
Post by steve66 »

Cheers Charles ,but has he got one for a bmb.It attaches to the engine by a plate and bolts not like a stud on a seagull.
Charles UK

Post by Charles UK »

I'm not so sure, that there are a few about, was talking to John Williams earlier this week & he said he only had one in stock & that undamaged ones were getting harder & harder to get.
A lot of the Amal twin jets seem to be suffering the same malady, these & the transom bracket seem to be becoming a valuable commodity.
steve66
Post by steve66 »

I may yet make an adaptor,a stud welded on a plate so i can use a seagull carb.I have put tape around whats left of the thread and screwed it in and it seems to have held it for the time being. Also got it running in a fashion with an electric drill starter.
Thanks again
Steve