Trash and treasure buy

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

shistlepot

Trash and treasure buy

Post by shistlepot »

Purchased at T & T but make unknown. Air cooled and has no serial numbers stamped on motor. The ignition is Mallory mounted on the crankcase
so it has no flywheel, only a rope pulley. This motor is very heavy and the steering arm cam be pushed back for storage/handling.I have perused
The Old Outboard Book but no ID there.
Attachments
Unknown 07.jpg
Unknown 05.jpg
Unknown 03.jpg
Collector Inspector

Re: Trash and treasure buy

Post by Collector Inspector »

Golden (Gold) Cheetah.

McPherson's Limited Australia

1958 -62

125lbs prop thrust.

Not many left as complete as yours. But yours has no recoil starter like all that are left now.

The points caused explosions in the bakerlite ignition cover when fuel vapours leaked from the crankcase through and around pin.

You are lucky to have that bit intact...................With a crack in it?

Here is a scan of an advert showing the recoil. It was tin plate and flimsy so with a marine environment the mounting lugs rusted away. I will take a picture of a complete starter when I remember where I placed it.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
shistlepot

Post by shistlepot »

Thanks Collector Inspector, I knew I could rely on someone from WA. The cover has no cracks, it has spark, good compression but there is some resistence when I try to pull it over. I will check that out soon.
Standby, I have another mystery outboard which I think is German,but I have to take some snaps, its freezing here in Melbourne so I do that in the next day
or so.
Cheers Ed
Collector Inspector

Thanks Ed.

Keep the Cheetah going as it is one of the more desirable Australian classics in any collection.

May be heavy and cumbersome but absolutely bullet proof and reliable things! You have done VERY well with that one!

Who needs a recoil anyway?

Better on a transom and not a museum aye?

Send pics of the other when you can.............Cold and DRY in Perth!

Regards

Bruce.
phil

Post by phil »

Freezing in Melbourne? How deep is the snow? Over here they tell us on the news we should bring our pets in when it gets below -17C, there yet? Just trying to insert a little humor, but wondering what you call cold. :)
shistlepot

Post by shistlepot »

Its great to get this info on the cheetah Bruce, McPhersons made some good stuff. I won't be touching it for a while I am cleaning up a 40 plus,a 102 and a Silver Century special at the moment. If I tinker with too many at the one time, parts tend to get lost. Cheers Ed
Collector Inspector

Parts get lost by me all the time with too many on the go at once, should learn but I never do.

I tend to have boxes and sandwich bags for parts and bits but I forget to actually label the bags? I then have a rental inspection so all the bags are hidden away. Then I find them 6 months later.

Good luck with them both.

B