RNLI, we can help!

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

RNLI, we can help!

Post by outboard »

Hi Guys

Maybe some of you will know, maybe not, the RNLI have started issuing prepaid envelopes for people to send them any old mobile phones or ink cartridges to be recycled to help support their cause. I'm sure all of you would welcome the chance to help these guys in this way. I know I'm grateful to them for being their if the unthinkable happens.

Just thought I'd bring this to the forums' attention.

Gerard
Robin Anderson

Re: RNLI, we can help!

Post by Robin Anderson »

Hi Gerard, was not aware of that thanks, will look out for the envelopes. RNLI has been getting a bit of bad press on the YBM forums recently - there is a bit of disquiet about the huge salaries of their mandarins and their recently adopted beach patrol /lifeguard remit - bossy oiks racing about beaches on quad bikes ordering people where they can and cannot swim. As one of the most ardently supported charities in the world I think their chiefs should be concerned - the organisation may be getting too fat at the top and risk loosing vital goodwill if they allow their beach patrols to become the beach police. Have been a contibutor for nearly 40 years and will continue to pay as long as I sail so I hope the RNLI does weather the current tight financial situation.
May we never have cause to call upon their services.
Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
outboard

Post by outboard »

Robin, never heard of this discontent however if this is the case it can only be harmful to the guys on the frontline. Up here in Ayrshire we don't have the beach patrols or the likes, we merely have the guys who fall out of bed at all hours to help unfortunates at sea. Having worked with some of these guys I know the great job they do, voluntarily, hence my pleasure at supporting them.

Let's hope the bad press doesn't overshadow the cause!!!
c18

Post by c18 »

I work for the Rnli and and hate to see bad press , any one is welcome to come and find me at the Rnli and see just how the boats are made and how the money is spent. .....and how many lives we save.!!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I had a tour around their hull production plant in Lyminton a few months ago.

After the explore I did ask if they would knock me out a carbon & foam hull during the lunch time, for a couple of beers, no takers unfortunately.

They do some really sexy work there! you can see why the crews will confidently go out in any conditions, they are right at the top of the pile in excelence, technology & design.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Interesting comments about the 'beach police' as I came across them this summer on Fistral Beach.

They had a very good setup with 2 swim/bodyboard areas, one either side of the surfers only area. Not only did they have the guys on the beach but also a jet ski and a guy in the water with the body boarders ensuring that no-one was drifting into unsafe areas. For those that aren't aware, Fistral has an incredible rip tide that runs at 45 degrees to the beach, and in 18" of water I was struggling to walk against it.

The RNLI is one of those charities that I feel is 'wrongly' funded, like hospices. They provide a rescue service that should be publicly funded but isn't, and I am always keen to support them at whatever opportunity I can

Just my 2p

Cheers

Peter
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Peter I have asked the same question about the funding before.

Can you see any government let them spend as much money as they do on a boat? they'd end up using low budget rubbish.

If the crew were paid wouldn't "health & safety" enter the equasion? "Force 8 too rough to launch".

I know who I'd rather back in this situation, a government dept or the RLNI.

It's a nobrainer.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
c18

Post by c18 »

The boat Tamar class cost 2.7 m , strenght is the issue not £££££££££££ thats why it is not government funded ,,,no corner can be cut on the boat.
No one will insure them so they have to be right!
Potterer

Post by Potterer »

"wrongly funded"?

Would you have all taxpayers pay for something which is likely to be used by very few taxpayers?
Or perhaps you'd prefer a levy on those who go to sea?
Or perhaps we should charge those people who get into trouble?

Don't misunderstand me.
The RNLI does a wonderful job:
I give them all the support and approval I can.

But I couldn't ask my brother, who is never, ever, going to need them to help pay for them.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

My brother who is never going to need them does support them.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

I have had a Direct Debit to the RNLI for years now.
In anticipation for when I finish my bloody boat and cause a hazard in the Channel.

Won't be long now, finished grinding the valves in the first head . . .
Geoff Uphill

Post by Geoff Uphill »

Having a small cruising yacht - I do appreciate they are there at the end of a vhf call - and I have always subscribed to an offshore membership. I do however think there are some issues that could be addressed with regard funding.

For one - if the RNLI goes to the aid of a craft - and feel conditions are suitable to save the vessel by a tow etc - then I see no reason why they should not charge the insurers, if the boat is insured. After all - they have saved them maybe 20,000 or more by that simple tow.

Too many 'sailors' are treating the RNLI like a free AA service.

Might wake them up a bit to start losing some no claims bonus !

Geoff - Bristol
outboard

Post by outboard »

Absolutely spot on mate. There's also the idiots who need help due to reckless behaviour or simply being crazy, charge them too. My old workmates used to man the Troon lifeboat and some of the calls they answered were unbelievable, people going out either in conditions a cruise ship wouldn't, or even full of the amber nectar. The guys risk their lives for these turds, make them pay.

On that, I'm just too pleased to give donations to make my safety more assured.
sakean99

Post by sakean99 »

Crews rescueing boats on a shout may claim slavage if they wish, but must repay all the costs of the callout if they do - which probably won't leave much for their efforts if they did. Crews claiming salvage has not been common partly because I think it is believed that it could discourage some casualties from asking for help until it was too late.

The YBW thread was started after an experienced sailor in a large RIB tender in a sheltered estuary on a nice sunny day was "reprimanded" by an officious sounding person wearing RNLI insignia for "not wearing a lifejacket when on the water" The general response was that while we recognise the value of the "useless unless worn" campaign, we are adults and can make sensible decisions (to wear or not) for ourselves based on circumstances & conditions.

Just another Shoreline member & cruising sailor.
Forty Featherweight, not that old - but sure does look it!
daveyorks

Post by daveyorks »

spurn lifeboat station is a great place to visit,i belive its the only fulltime paid station (the location is remote)