Red faced newcomer

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

Red faced newcomer

Post by outboard »

Hi

I'm Gerard, I have an FP model, (Feb 70) which I bought about 5 years ago. I had it out once and it run lovely, though it took a few pulls to start. I haven't had it out for about 4 years now but I hope to change that this year.
First thing I did the other day was go on ebay and order a cd repair manual, boy do I feel stupid now after reading the introduction to this forum.
My idea was to give it a good clean inside and out especially as the last outing it had was in sea water and I didn't flush it out afterwards.

Would anyone like to tell me how they would tackle this please? That is, after buying a manual from you guys.

Thanks for any advice.

Gerard Ukhttp://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/forum/pos ... e=post&f=5#
charlesp

Re: Red faced newcomer

Post by charlesp »

If the motor starts and runs and pumps cooling water, then the best plan is to leave it alone. While a complete strip-down to clean out the waterways is the only way to really get rid of the rusty clag that sometimes forms, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

It's a good idea to empty any old lubricant out of the gearbox and refill with the right oil - John will supply you.

When you test it in a tank remember that they don't usually pump water at low revs - about half throttle may be needed.
mick r

Re: Red faced newcomer

Post by mick r »

When you test it in a tank
Also do not forget to remove prop (if no clutch).
Not only will you get wet, :oops: but they do not seem to like pumping water in a tank, with the prop turning.

Regards,
Mick.