shaft length

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

shaft length

Post by outboard »

Can anyone tell me the difference in size between, short, standard and long shafts?

I have a Forty Plus engine which I hope to use on an inflatable dinghy I'm planning on buying, my main concern is the exhaust being too deep in the water. I think it is probably a standard size shaft. Can I move the fixing bracket down the shaft to raise the exhaust out the water if needed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gerard
charlesp

Re: shaft length

Post by charlesp »

The forty plus was available as a standard shaft or long shaft. British Seagull didn't designate any of their products as 'short shaft'

The maximun freeboard (top of transom to waterline was 16" for the standard shaft and 22" for the long. If yours is a long version there will be an 'L' in the serial.

You can adjust the depth with a 'depth adjusting collar', John (number at top of page) will happily supply you with one.

Hope that helps.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Check the shaft length of your engine by reference to the engine number stamped on the crankcase casting above the joint with the drive shaft tube. Or simply measure from the transom top edge down to the top of the water pump housing.
As said above they came in two lengths standard at 16" and long at 22 "

You can buy the depth adjusting collar or improvise with a hose clip .. if you must.

It is convenient not to have it set lower than necessary as it saves running it aground so often!
outboard

Post by outboard »

Thanks, I am right in what I was thinking it is the standard shaft, there's no L in the serial number and it certainly isn't 22".
I did use the engine on a dinghy a few years ago but it had a good size transom, but as I said, I fancy a new inflatable and the transom is a lot shorter.
I will speak with John, thanks guys.

Gerard
Todd

Post by Todd »

:idea:It's relatively easy to cut the leg to any length you want. Shorten the exhaust tube, drive tube, drive shaft and water tube each by the same amount. If you hesitate to hack your little jewel, buy spares reasonably from John, and cut them, thus keeping your originals, well, original.

Todd-On-Stillwater
Vic

Post by Vic »

I wouldn't mutilate a good engine.
Fit the depth collar if it really is necessary. Experiment first though with a Jubilee clip round the shaft but I'd expect any inflatable dinghy to be suitable for a standard shaft engine.

Seagull depth adjusting collar:

outboard

Post by outboard »

Thanks guys, I'm getting the picture now. I get Todd's suggestion using an old seized engine to cut up, but no cutting will be done. Thanks for the picture Vic.
I'm sure I will get an adjustment clamp from John. Thanks everyone for the help.http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... f=2&t=1694#
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

i use my standard shaft century on a 2.7 metre inflatable with a collar i made up out of old transom mount bits.before that i used a hose clip which worked just as well.just make sure when all the weight is in the boat and distributed where it will be for the trip that the leg of the motor hangs straight down and the water is no higher than about 2 inches up the shiny part of the exhaust tube.also bear in mind that in a boat that size any change in weight or even the position of that weight will considerably alter the trim and therefore the height of the engine.so adjust it with everything aboard. cheers
outboard

Post by outboard »

Funny thing, when I came off the site last night I was thinking exactly this Billyboy. My thoughts are now on manufacturing a clip with wing nuts so that I can change the height to suit the weight quite easily. To be honest I reckon it'll be a regular weight as I usually do these things myself, but the granddaughters are getting bigger and more adventurous.
I have a few options now, thanks.
Vic

Post by Vic »

but the granddaughters are getting bigger and more adventurous.
much as i love my Seagull to be perfectly blunt about it if I were choosing an outboard to fit on an inflatable for kids to play about in I would not put a Seagull on the list I would choose a more modern engine. A small Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu or Mariner perhaps

No exposed spinning flywheel ... could be very dangerous if girls have long hair
Recoil starter ... cannot loose the starter cord.

Quieter ... wont annoy everyone else in the anchorage.

Lighter .. at least if you shop around for a decent S/H 2 stroke

Cleaner .. no oily hands or fuel mix spilled in the back of the dinghy

Kill button .... get one with a safety lanyard which is absolutely vital for kids. This alone should lead you away from a Seagull!

That'll set the cat among the pigeons .................... Image
Last edited by Vic on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Yeah Vic, but the thing is, it's Papa's toy, the girls will only be passengers. I wouldn't let the kids out alone with a Seagull, especially my own, it's too precious to me. Seriously though, your right. A more modern engine would be on the shopping list if they wanted to take it up. Unfortunately ipods and computer games are more important to kids these days than doing outdoor.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Vic that cat looks like it's already eaten at least 2 of that pigeon' friends!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Vic that cat looks like it's already eaten at least 2 of that pigeon' friends!
Its long fur makes it look bigger than it really is but has now been on a special diet (Vet prescribed and monitored) and is now down to 4.1Kg from about 5.5.

July 2007:

This is the one (next doors) who catches and eats the birds ... not seen him with a pigeon though

Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Which one is the long shaft :D

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

So your cat loses nearly 3 pounds & the vet gains more than 100.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.