How do you clean the inside of a steel tank??

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mark
How do you clean the inside of a steel tank??

Post by Mark »

I was thinking of coke or vinegar left in for 48 hours as cheap options? Any other ideas?

Thanks
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

I let my kids shake it for 30 minutes with about 100 SS nuts and bolts inside, then rinsed with copious amounts of petrol, which I strained and ran into the car. This makes quite a racket, and should be employed while SWMBO is at work, earning money to pay for more 'Gulls

You must use Whitworth nuts and bolts for this approach or the kharmic forces of Seagull will be upset, and the motor will never be quite right. Metric nuts and bolts can be used in an emergency, but this tempting fate. Using SAE (US) hardware will surely lead to 'Gull insurrection.
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
gullnut

Cleaning out steel tanks

Post by gullnut »

Hello Mark

I cleaned mine back to bright metal by filling about 1/3 full of pea gravel (imperiel size not metric!) and about a pint of white spirit. I then bunged up all the holes with wooden dowels, wrapped in lots of dust sheets and propped it in a cement mixer (with the tank across the mixer in line with the wheels) stuffed loads of dust sheets around the tank so it could not move and left the mixer going all morning. This worked well.

Cheers Simon