TC 102 water cooling problem

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

Re: TC 102 water cooling problem

Post by red42hj »

Yes, I did consider that at first, so I emptied the gearbox. It was emulsified as expected,but the oil I found in the water pump chamber was the colour that comes out of the bottom and top of the exhaust tube. Sort of black but clean if you get my meaning . I will put in a new gasket though .I suppose it could pump straight out of a leak in the gasket rather than up the pipe.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Sounds very odd. Did you take off the fittings to the cylinder and remove all the flakes of rust from the cylinder?
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Yes, in fact it was amazingly clean inside. I'm going to fit all new gaskets and try again. maybe the gasket at the pump housing is allowing the water to escape sideways. Waiting for gaskets to arrive now. Will post again in a day of two.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Should I fit the cylinder base gasket dry or use some jointing compound ? I can't remember.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

An unrelated question: I also have a forty plus (clutched ) what is the correct prop for these models?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

red42hj wrote:An unrelated question: I also have a forty plus (clutched ) what is the correct prop for these models?
So what prop does it have now?

Pics.....we love pics aye.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

I'll do my best, but I failed to upload them last time.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Dependent on engine number.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Fortyplus : FP215R.5 identified as exact date unknown. It has I think, the weedless prop. Looks like a clover leaf.
Going back to the TC102 cooling; I managed to change both the cylinder base gasket and the pump flange gasket on the boat yesterday. In doing so, I found 1 of the block stud nuts to be only finger tight. I put this down to using spring washers by mistake. Both gaskets are paper, so I used no jointing compound at all. The motor ran up well. Telltale water was good and luke warm. There was a 5 second delay in coming out though. Revved it a bit and it worked ok. Hopefully I will give it a proper sea trial later in the week . Will keep you posted.