Drive Shaft assembly query

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Greyman56

Drive Shaft assembly query

Post by Greyman56 »

Hi Guys,
I have a silver century long shaft WSL475CC9 that requires putting back together.
Can anybody tell me what the correct distance is from the top of the drive shaft tube (where it attaches to the cylinder) to the top of the exhaust flange and water pump housing (where the locking bolt is)? Just a little concerned about clearance between water pump and joint plate as well as internals of exhaust flange.
For additional info, when the silencer tube is fitted in place it sits over the exhaust flange 4mm. It strikes me that it should be lower.
Thanks.
Greyman56
fleetingcontact
Re: Drive Shaft assembly query

Post by fleetingcontact »

The length of the driveshaft tube for your engine is 24 & 1/2" as stated in the spares book.

The tube should fit into the water pump housing so that the end of the tube is flush with the end of the socket inside the pump housing - thus it extends about four inches inside the water pump housing. Here's a pic of a forty I'm working on which should give you enough of an idea:
DSCF5076.JPG
The extent to which the exhaust fits over the stub on the water pump housing is a bit more moot since there is some variance in the length of these tubes (spares book states 22 & 1/4") - but as a rough guide it should probably be about half an inch - 4mm does not sound enough.

Hope this helps.
Greyman56

Post by Greyman56 »

Thanks FLEETINGCONTACT,
Apologies for not coming back sooner. Lots of work on.
Info was a good remedy.
Thanks (Kia ora rawa atu)
Greyman56
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

If you need to have a look at one that is not in bits give me a shout. (or the book)

You going down the Waikato this Easter?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Greyman56

Post by Greyman56 »

Hi Nudge,
Appreciate the offer. We managed a trip to Waihi just before Christmas 2018 to see friends. Probably will not be doing another trip this side of Christmas 2019.
Thanks anyway.
I managed to set things up with info supplied by FLEETINGCONTACT that did the trick.
Kia ora rawa atu
Greyman56
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

All good!
The offer is out there if you need it!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?