102 series gear box oil leak

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

102 series gear box oil leak

Post by african imp »

I have just rebuilt a 102 motor, the parts bin it came in was a real mix of stuff, It all works but the 140 grade oil in the gear box is leaking out a bit when the motor is vertical.

Was there a seal on the shaft, is there a drawing anyone can post for me?

Thanks in advance! Roy, Hout Bay, South Africa.
Last edited by african imp on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster 49

Re: 102 series gear box oil leak

Post by Oyster 49 »

This sounds quite normal :lol: just keep changing it regularly. There was never a seal fitted, it relied on the oil being quite thick so it did not leak too much.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

As Oyster says, leaking is normal, especially if the rear bushing is worn, but have you over-filled the gearbox? The filler plug (if your motor has one) also acts as a level plug with the motor upright.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Guys, thanks, I filled with 500ml Castrol 140 grade oil, then after running the engine I left it standing up off a plank in the bench vice, with a catch dish underneath, the oil had stopped by the following morning. I lost say two tablespoons of oil.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Apart from oil out, in use, you will find the oil goes to a coffee colour, which is due to water getting in and creating an emulsion. This is normal and apparently acceptable, but the motor shouldn't be stored for any length of time with the water present as the oil and water will separate and cause rusting of the gears.