Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz wrote:Maybe an electrician needs to own it :P
I was thinking the same thing lol
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Re: Non seagull outboard I. D

Post by AusAnzani »

tambikeboy wrote:
AusAnzani wrote:I love the look of that electric. Any attempts to run it yet?

Regards
S
No attemps as yet looks to be complete but will require new cable's . :oops:
If you can get us some photos with the covers off, we may be able to guide you for a direct battery connection, cables bypassed.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Ice Slows Firemen to Walk' at Blaze A $100,000 three-alarm fire that burned out the LeJay Manufacturing Co., 2908 Emerson avenue S., was a slippery, six-hour battle for firemen early today. Nearly half the city's on-duty firemen moved cautiously on streets and ladder rungs glazed by ice as rain fell and froze. Deputy Chief Walter Harrity said equipment moved to the scene at a careful 15 miles an hour. The first alarm came at 11:57 p.m. Monday 
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

at 12:39 a.m. The fire fighters managed to prevent serious damage to the Spartan corporation, which adjoins the LeJay firm. Harrity said a concrete fire wall between the two firms occupying the same one-story building, helped halt the blaze. The Spartan firm's roof was damaged. The LeJay portion, 90 feet by 90 feet, is a total loss, said George Congdon, secretary to Lawrence D. Leach, president of the firm. The company makes outboard motors, welding equipment and lawn mowers. Congdon would not surmise what caused the blaze. The fire i deDartment due into the ruins to- j day to seek cause Harritv said firemen wr ,'r- structed to move with caution in battline- the flames. The fiVhtor managed to keep their footing and nobody was hurt.

Clipped from The Minneapolis Star, 04 Jan 1949, Tue, Page 15
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

And it's of. :P :P :P to the paint shed we must go.
Attachments
20190112_150355.jpg
20190112_142452.jpg
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

AusAnzani wrote:
tambikeboy wrote:
AusAnzani wrote:I love the look of that electric. Any attempts to run it yet?

Regards
S
No attemps as yet looks to be complete but will require new cable's . :oops:
If you can get us some photos with the covers off, we may be able to guide you for a direct battery connection, cables bypassed.
Attachments
20190113_111925.jpg
20190113_111933.jpg
20190113_111951.jpg
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Brushes all good as with bearings. :P
Attachments
20190113_161743.jpg
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I'm not quite getting how this electric motor works ie from the photos provided.

Re-assemble the motor and with a multi-meter see if you can measure continuity (ohms) between the two cables. If you do, might be worth connecting them to a 12V source (battery or power supply) to see if it will turn.

Mate, if you weren't so far away, i'd pop over and have a closer look for you!

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The white circular coils are the speed controller + and - cables come in from the bottom. Knob on the other side of cowl. Speed controller grounded to metal frame. Std DC motor similar to car starter motor with variable voltage + wire from controller. You would get a few zapps from that in saltwater :lol: . I would be wearing gloves and not using it on an aluminum boat. Replace the cables, emery cloth or turn (dress) the armature segments and using a hacksaw blade ground to a point, delicately clean between segments. Replace bearings/bushes. I think it would be ok to attach frayed cable to + of battery and - wire from battery to frame of motor. Make sure frayed cable is not shorting to anything metal. Keep onlookers respectful distance away.... It should spin with hopefully not too many sparks.

u
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

:lol: :lol:  I think it would be ok to attach frayed cable to + of battery and - wire from battery to frame of motor. Make sure frayed cable is not shorting to anything metal. Keep onlookers respectful distance away.... It should spin with hopefully not too many sparks. 
I'm thinking out loud if i connect either/or cables to battery the worst that can happen is it will go in reverse or am I way wrong.
I noticed it says in the sales brochure that it has full reverse does that mybe mean you just swap cables around who knows must yet the wellies on :mrgreen:
Attachments
20181216_071212.png
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I would be running car jumper leads to the motor. Red to frayed cable and black outside metal of motor. Dont worry about cables and controller in cowl. Is the motor free to spin? Tape up cable with more electrical tape. Attach to battery last. Yes reverse polarity to go backwards. Biggest fear is a short circuit and KA-BANG. If it just hums in e minor disconnect quick smart as that will burn out wiring.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Looking at this again, i would agree with Hugz. The white circular thing that the cable is attached to is the speed controller.

I would run the motor on its own however to confirm its OK. So, if its free to spin, secure it to something, hook up a supply (positive to wire, negative to motor frame) and if its OK, it will run at full speed. If your supply is not switchable (as in on/off), and you're using a battery with jumber leads, you should expect a spark when you connect the motor.

If the motor proves OK, we can move on to testing with the speed controller.

It's only 12VDC, so there's no chance of hurting yourself other than maybe a little burn worst case. It's the AC stuff you need to worry about!

let us know how you get on.

Regards,
S
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

The dalek is running thanks china's now for complete strip down starting with this speed controler looks to be in need of a good clean here's hoping that white powdered stuff is not what it looks like (asbestos) any thoughts before cleaning.
Attachments
20190116_164126.jpg
20190116_164138.jpg
20190116_164159.jpg