new owner

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Holman26

new owner

Post by Holman26 »

greetings

my name is David and I'm new to boating

I have a featherweight (FP91R3) which i use to propel my tender up at pin mill-my main boat is a 26 foot Holman

ive had it running a few times but more often than not it hangs on the transom and drips fuel as I row.
I think the tickler works but im not entirely certain-when you press it, where is the fuel winding up (other than dripping)?
I've replaced the spark plug, the old one was covered in "spiky soot" and cleaned the carburettor and the fuel filter at the banjo fitting. the fuel tank was dirty but i managed to clear that out.
i have noticed two things-first the needle is able to wobble in the throttle valve piston, I've checked and there is a spring-should it do that?
Also the Centrepiece jet is in the right place and the screw is in the shoulder recess and not in the hole; again it can have some movement. I have put in the finer washer, part number v 107 (number 12 on the diagram) but it may be in the wrong place-does it go on top of the float (number 28) or below?

When it runs its fine, strong puller and really responsive.

Any advice gratefully received.
Oyster 49

Re: new owner

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome to the forum :P I also sail on the Orwell out of Ipswich Haven.

Re your engine it sounds like a good runner, so enjoy!

When you press the tickler it is opening the needle valve to allow the float float to fully fill with fuel and thus flood the engine for starting from cold. If it is dripping just turn off the fuel at the tap when you are not using the engine. Fuel taps can also leak, but replacement corks are obtainable. Have a good read of the forum posts via the search function, and also the FAQs on the main SOS website, a wealth of information there.

John at SOS call supply all your spare parts.