British Anzani Help

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

pug33r

British Anzani Help

Post by pug33r »

Hi all,

First of all i'm new to the forum and a complete noob when it comes to the old boat motors, so please bear with me...After looking through many posts and information this looked like the place to be for information on a British Anzani motor i recently acquired from a friend. I have tried using the id program but haven't had any luck but it could be just me. It seems to look similar to most pilot models but i haven't seen one yet painted in what looks to be a military green. I have listed photos below and if any more are needed i can put em up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance...

Hugz

Re: British Anzani Help

Post by Hugz »

Blimey, you are Sydney too! Welcome. Id only works for British Seagulls.

Here is mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9UswYi1SgA

You might recognise the waterway!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

There was a myth that they were used by paratroopers in WW2. One carried an inflatable and another the motor. Trouble being they were made post WW2 by quite a bit.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't really know enough about them, only that its not an early motor, but what age it is, I haven't a clue.
I just go by the tank cap and cylinder head.

Early, with a smooth fin-less head.
P1010216.JPG
Middle aged.
P1000171.JPG
and late P handle.
368f_1.jpg
I own about five of them and I did think that the early one was from the forty's, maybe I'm wrong.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Keith.P wrote:I own about five of them and I did think that the early one was from the forty's, maybe I'm wrong.
You maybe correct! Spiro may have more info. I know the Russians made a knock off version.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

It is a later maybe mid to late 60s going by the prop, tank, transom bracket and leg.

The number you have shown is not traceable now...........records from Anzani thrown in a skip ages ago.

Someone painted it green yes which is no indication of heritage or intended use.

Looks nice but does it work?

You have to remove the power head from the leg to see what casting date of the lower crankcase "extension" may be there. That is where the date M/Y may be found.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
pug33r

Post by pug33r »

Hugz wrote:There was a myth that they were used by paratroopers in WW2. One carried an inflatable and another the motor. Trouble being they were made post WW2 by quite a bit.
That's awesome mate love the footage.. I'd hate to be the one trying to swim with the motor haha :)
pug33r

Post by pug33r »

Keith.P wrote:I don't really know enough about them, only that its not an early motor, but what age it is, I haven't a clue.
I just go by the tank cap and cylinder head.

Early, with a smooth fin-less head.
P1010216.JPG
Middle aged.
P1000171.JPG
and late P handle.
368f_1.jpg

I own about five of them and I did think that the early one was from the forty's, maybe I'm wrong.
Cheers, ill have a look at the head tonight... Thanks :)
pug33r

Post by pug33r »

Collector Inspector wrote:It is a later maybe mid to late 60s going by the prop, tank, transom bracket and leg.

The number you have shown is not traceable now...........records from Anzani thrown in a skip ages ago.

Someone painted it green yes which is no indication of heritage or intended use.

Looks nice but does it work?

You have to remove the power head from the leg to see what casting date of the lower crankcase "extension" may be there. That is where the date M/Y may be found.

BnC
I actually have no idea on the working condition as i haven't touched it other than bringing it home yet. I will inspect the lower crank case tomorrow and hopefully that will yield a date. As for painted i have been under the impression that this is the original paint as the owner recently passed away(a good friend of mine) at the age of 84. Cheers mate i appreciate yr help :)
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I can tell by the picture it's not got a fin-lass head, all the motor is wrong for being an early pilot.
The tank cap is in the wrong place and I suspect it would have two screw holding the float cap on, not a screw on cap one.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

I think its a Mark III, having the Amal (preZenith) carb. and the cast leg. Earlier Pilots just had ally tube for legs.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Funnily enough the earliest Pilot I can find on the web and elsewhere is one of my own photos, August 1950.
Anzani.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I've never been able to date these things from the serial number.

Best guesses as to year of manufacture have come from comparing the outboard at hand against adverts such as that posted by Hugz.

Then there's this, which i suspect may be a bitsa. Engine appears to be an early type (as described by Keith), and the transom assembly and leg are clearly more recent.

In the range of '50 to '54 would be close enough, but I'm no expert.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Just found an advert from 1957.

I can not tell two or three blade prop but it has a single clamp bracket.

YW-British-Anzani-ad-July-1957.jpg
Let us all keep on looking as should be a research Gem in the making.

BnC[/color][/b]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
pug33r

Post by pug33r »

Cheers guys, i really appreciate the help. As soon as i have a minute ill post more photos and hopefully get to the bottom of it. Or better yet get her running :)