Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Hello everyone,

Do MK1/2 Villiers ignition points and condenser work on a JM/Coolie ignition?
Looking at my latest project 8). The whole ignition system is pretty much no good excluding the magnet pickups, flywheel and baseplate.
The coil has no reading so is shot.
The points will need another rotor arm, gasket, fibre pad, wires and fibre washers.

Jacob
Keith.P

Re: Points

Post by Keith.P »

Coolie hat ignition are different to all that came after, you can pay the money for the right coil, around £65 or put in a later coil in with a little modification needed.
The points are about, I saw a brass points box set on Ebay last week, I think it was £8, I don't think it sold.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Jacob, what are you calling mk1 and mk2 villiers ignition systems?
Any pics to explain?

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Definitely not buying a new coil!
I will have a look for a points box on eBay.

As for Jon i will get pics in the morning of what i mean.

Jacob
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I didn't think you would buy a coil, that points box did sell, £6 +p.p, I didn't need one myself, but Jon will sort you out.
I know exactly what you are talking about.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Villiers parts will be able to supply a new set of points for a JM coolie hat magneto.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Villiers parts will be able to supply a new set of points for a JM coolie hat magneto.

It's the complete points box i need though, or the bits to fix mine.

I will probably have a go at fixing mine later though.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It would appear that all the coil suppliers in the UK are supplying a far eastern clone Villiers 1034 coil for whatever application it's bought for!

So if you order a Villiers 1030 x16 coil for your Marston or your SD you will receive a slightly shorter far eastern 1034 coil with top hat bushes to bring the core diameter up to the 9/16" required by your JM baseplate.

We are looking at the moment for a UK based reputable coil winder, to rebuild all of the 1030 x16 coils that have passed their best before date, so whatever you do just hang onto your dead coil as remanufacturing the laminated 9/16" core & the Bakerlite bits would make the whole exercise prohibitively expensive!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I think what Jacob is trying to say is that he's already re-done his SD with one of the villiers supplied coils at circa £100.
That's a lot of dosh to spend on a coil, let alone any of the sundry parts inside the points box.

I'm reaching the same point myself with my own SD. It's also lacking any spark, but i'm certainly not going to spend a kings ransom for an original villiers coil, not at that price anyway. I know i know, it's the price we sometimes have to pay to enjoy our little hobby with little or no guarantee that this will fix the problem, but even so it's still an awful lot of money nevertheless. (now you can see why so many of these old gulls end up for sale these days)

I fully understand that the issue with all of the villiers coils is becoming more and more of a problem to most of us now.
Some individuals have taken a more practical approach to the problem by whatever means is available to them. We've seen this before with some "modifications" to the smaller coils that are readily available from most places. Getting an old gull going again is an achievement in it's own right, and hats off to anyone that has the skills to retro fit parts from other gulls just to keep another worthy seagull going for the next few years.

I shall sit and wait patiently for someone to rewind my duff coil at a reasonable price. No rush :P

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

For test purposes only i am going to be using a MK1 coil with homemade spacers similar to Hugo's video, i will hang onto the coil off this new motor i have for when somebody can rewind it, my old SD one sadly caught fire when i removed the screws that hold the pickups on.
It might be save able.

My SD has one of the 1034 coils that was said to be 1030.

Pics coming later of what i meant by MK1, MK2 villiers.

Jacob
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Here is what i meant by MK1/2 Ignitions.

I have just tried using MK2 points box in a coolie baseplate and although it fits the points themselves stay wide open all the time, even after swaping the rotor/points arm back to a coolie arm.

Excuse the incompleteness in the pictures but you should get the idea.

Jacob
Attachments
ignitions.JPG
points.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You've got the numbering slightly wrong Jacob.

First there's the Coolie/JM ignition.

Then all the rest of the Villiers are the Mk 1.

Wipac's points ignitions are all the Mk2.

Wipac white two piece CDI are the Mk3.

Wipac black one piece CDI are the Mk4.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I worked it out all on my own, headmaster.

So you are going to do this.
IMG_0596.JPG
And need one of them.
IMG_1366.JPG
Is that what you are saying, It makes perfect sense so far.

Would you like a set?
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Right got it now, the baseplates changed a few times over the years of the MK1 but nothing else, correct?

You are completely correct Keith and yes i would love a brass points box with all the internals!

PM me.

Jacob