Model 55 no spark issue

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Buzzook

Model 55 no spark issue

Post by Buzzook »

G'day all
Recently was offered an EFPC (Model 55) 40 Series from approx Jan'84.
As I already had a GFPC (same same but with Bing carb) I thought it would yield spares if nothing else.
So in trying to get it going I have:
- cleaned the plug (then replaced it with new)
- cleaned the tank and put in fresh 25:1
- cleaned carb and checked slide operation

Didn't get even a hint of firing, so pulled the plug, attached a new plug and grounded it to find (as far as I can see) zero spark.

There is an issue with the plastic casing on the plug HT lead being split, and some evidence of corrosion on the wire, so that may be all it is, but I dunno.....

Looking at the brown box on the base plate I can't see any markings on it, so can someone who knows about these things tell me if it is the correct CDI unit for a Model 55 - think it's meant to be a Wipac 3...?

And is it it possible to replace the HT lead on its own? It seems to be firmly fixed and not easy to remove, so am not sure how it would come off..?

And what's that extra (small) wire coming out of the other side of the CDI that seems to terminate in a red female plug fitting. Could that be meant to go to a kill switch..?? [Which I wasn't aware any Seagull's had, so is it an "aftermarket" CDI unit or what's the story..?]

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark
Attachments
Photo0492.jpg
Photo0491.jpg
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Charles uk

Re: Model 55 no spark issue

Post by Charles uk »

Wipac Mk4 CDI, standard fitting on yours.

Your right that is the kill switch wire (earth to stop) this could be the problem, if you can cut off cleanly right next to where is soldered, you will remove the possibility of it shorting.

The HT lead is not replaceable on the Mk4 only possible on the Mk3, CDI's suffer the problems of all modern electrics, they either work perfect or don't, & are not repairable, I believe John Williams has new ones in stock.

These are one of my favourite Seagulls so don't break!

Why would you, clutched 40+, sealed lower unit, 25:1 power head, real easy starting with working CDI & recoil starter.

Post a picture of your flywheel to show readers the groove.

Seagulls with stop buttons, 125, 170, SD160, SD110, Kingfisher, Osprey, Curlew, 5R.

Yours should have Amal 416 carb!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Don't forget the pre war engines FNRs that have a stop switch!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Whoops Sorry, never even thought about them!

Had my brain locked in CDI mode.

Well spotted!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

OK, ta. Figured it would mean replacement of the CDI unit. Will order one from John.

Cheers

Yeah, it is a nice little motor, but it came without a recoil start and just the rope pull on top, which I've seen similar motors with in pics, so assume this was a 'povert pack' version minus the recoil?

My GFPC has a recoil.
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Buzzook wrote:OK, ta. Figured it would mean replacement of the CDI unit. Will order one from John.
My advice might be a bit late as you may have already placed your order.
I came across a similar problem with dodgy ht lead on my electronic ignition 102. Instead of replacing complete unit I cut out the damaged section of ht lead and scarfed a new piece of lead in to it.

Here is the link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3558&hilit=ht+lead

Could you cut the lead back to where the wire is good and rejoin the spark plug cap to just test if you can get a spark by grounding? This could rule out whether the complete unit needs replacing or not.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

WP_20170711_14_59_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20170711_14_59_39_Pro.jpg