Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

gytha

Post by gytha »

hi looking for a geared seagull with forward and reverse...think thats a 110.......... are they rare as dont seem to be any on ebay or gumtree
seagull101

Re: 110

Post by seagull101 »

They are not that rare, the cylinder blocks often crack and it is sometimes hard to find another block.
I personally have one with a bad block.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

A model 110 is basically a Silver Century with an FNR gearbox, as is the model 90, it's slightly younger almost identical twin!

They were born somewhere between 1979 & 1994 & the vast majority have electronic ignitions, the sealed lower units can be problematic if not well maintained, & often expensive to repair.

The first signs of a cancerous cylinder are cracks in the crankcase side of the exhaust port.

If you buy a dead one with a good lower unit, John Williams can supply all the parts to repair it.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
gytha

Post by gytha »

sounds like i may avoid this model, unless very cheap
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No need to avoid them at all. What Charles was trying to say was that with a lot of square block engine types particularly the bigger ones, there is a hollow section of the water jacket which often gets plugged up with rust right next to the exhaust port (which you can't see externally because the exhaust tube covers all of this) and over the years if the engine hasn't been regularly flushed after each use the rust just keeps building up and up to the point it creates a lot of stresses on the cast iron with the resulting cracks.
Any silver century engine will be prone to the same kinds of corrosion inside its engine block, not just 90 or 110 models.

I have a model 90 longshaft which i bought a few years ago with exactly the same trouble (a cracked block). With a bit of patience a replacement block was found, stripped bare and cleaned then repainted. It works a treat now. Don't be put off by a bit of rust or some cracks. They're all really simple engines to work on generally with plenty of parts readily available from many different places. Quite slick to use with the reverse gear too which makes maneuvering at slow speeds a doddle.

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

True Jon,

I plan to put a 102 powerhead on my model 90 bottom end!

Jacob