old magneto top covers

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

timberman2004

old magneto top covers

Post by timberman2004 »

hello Gull-er experts ...

when did British Sagull change the villiers magneto top covers from reading
" Best outboard motor IN the world " to Best outboard motor FOR the world ?

And was this on all models ?
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully
headdownarseup

Re: old magneto top covers

Post by headdownarseup »

The "change" from IN to FOR occurred somewhere around 1955/6 (i'm still trying to tie this down a bit firmer in my 102 data)

and yes all models had the same change, even when the later wipac ignition came into production in around 67. All models with the same "change" at the same time.

Welcome back :P

Jon
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

brill...got it
i'd hate to misappropriate a classy top cover (and probably now valuable) to the wrong engine

the flak from the brotherhood would be worse than a '40's night flight over Berlin :roll: :roll:
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

:roll: nothing worse than the flak from the brotherhood!

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I suspect the IN changed to FOR about the time another outboard manufacturer decided it wasn't true. :P

Even Mercury tried to stop outboards being painted black.

I prefer.
IMG_1378.JPG
pat777

Post by pat777 »

I recently joined the "In" club at last. Shame British Seagull didn't have the Carlsberg advertising team on board way back when. They certainly stuck it to the other outboard manufacturers with the "for" but if they had put "Probably" in front of "The Best Outboard Motor in the World" it would have really stuck it to them. There must have been thousands of the "in" magneto covers shipped out before the changeover or have I joined a more exclusive club than I think. Any estimates as to how many "in" magneto covers were made?

AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Making unqualified claims through advertisements (which this is a form of) is very risky.

Claims like that made on the flywheel cover can and do get put to test at any time. If you cannot prove what you've claimed as being correct, you run a big risk of being sued.

My guess is the change occurred as a result legal advice either before or after another outboard manufacturer demanded qualification or proof.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That was always my opinion too Spiro. Legalese had crept into play in the fifties. And many thousand of those disc are around still. I find them a bit tacky. There was talk of remanufacturing them a few years ago.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't remind me Hugo, I saw the stack of the new ally covers I had cut, a few weeks ago, they have probably been sitting there 10 years, as I then knew a company that had a pantograph engraving tool that I was welcome to use FOC, one of the members got a relative to make a master twice size from some artwork a member in Bermuda had used to make himself an acid etched brass version, the brass one after filling with black paint looked very impressive.

So off I go with my disc collection to try out the pantograph, well the master pattern was not quite deep enough, some new rotary tips were needed & some of the master edges needed cleaning up by their engraver & that would take 2 or 3 hours at a mates rate of £25 an hour, at this point it became very obvious that the finished article that would require almost 30 minutes of my time to engrave once I got proficient, would end up costing more than anyone would want to pay, ignoring the painting & the cleaning & polishing.

That's why they ended up on the shelf like a forgotten record collection.

The stupid holes we dig ourselves!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

now i LOVE Keith's disc...need about 10 :lol: :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Are you saying that what you still have are blank round covers?

If they're blank then i can use maybe a few to replace some rather pitted ones currently fitted to some of my motors.

Ring me :P

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Sorry Jon not at home so without address book, I've already been asked how much for all of them (28 total) so when I'm home I'll have to work out what they owe me.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.