Daft Question

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Road Dog

Daft Question

Post by Road Dog »

At the risk of getting quizzical looks should my Century have a filter in the air intake and if so can I use the sponge type filter as used in strimmer motors? If not can I use the same sponge anyway?
Andy
Hugz

Re: Daft Question

Post by Hugz »

I mentionef about a filter once and was politely asked if l ever came across a dust storm over water? Reminds me of the old vee dubs that had an oil bath as a filter where the air circulates and the dust "catches" on the oil. Also the gulls are designed to breath freely and a sponge will inhibit flow and affect the venturi effect of drawing the petrol into the jet and then to mix with the air creating a combustible gas. Conclusion: hard starting and poor performance.

Your Century shouldn't have a filter but it should have a shroud air intake with choke.
Road Dog

Re: Daft Question

Post by Road Dog »

Thanks Hugz. Seams alien to me not to have some kind of filter. My old Chevy has the old oil bath filter and even though there aren't too many dust storms under the hood it's surprising how much crud it picks up.
It has the shroud and choke so I guess all is good. Pleas check back for more dumb ass questions at a later date
Thanks again
Andy