Tried everything still wont start

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

DaveW

Tried everything still wont start

Post by DaveW »

My 40+ worked fine last year. Now it just wont start - it very occasionally fires.
So far I have changed the fuel, cleaned out carb and blown through with air, checked and cleaned points, checked and cleaned spark plug. It does spark.
I cant think what else to check. One point - when cleaning the carb - the brass tube that the needle sits in is not blocked but when locked in place with the tiny screw it can move up and down slightly even with the screw in the slot - is this normal?
Hugz

Re: Tried everything still wont start

Post by Hugz »

Try squirting WD40 into the carb inlet and see if runs for a few seconds with that. Also undo your fuel line and run some fuel into a glass jar. Any water condensation will form droplets of water that sit at the bottom of the tank. You will see these in the glass jar. Sounds like something simple. A can of carb cleaner will remove gunk unseen by the human eye.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

DaveW wrote:My 40+ worked fine last year. Now it just wont start - it very occasionally fires.
So far I have changed the fuel, cleaned out carb and blown through with air, checked and cleaned points, checked and cleaned spark plug. It does spark.
I cant think what else to check. One point - when cleaning the carb - the brass tube that the needle sits in is not blocked but when locked in place with the tiny screw it can move up and down slightly even with the screw in the slot - is this normal?
Washer missing.......wee one.....check the parts diagram on SOS. It is sucking air.

Cheers

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

So -having checked everything again and tried WD40 - didn't fire I went back to the electrics. It sparked (what I thought was fine) on 2 different plugs - however on closer examination I noticed the spark was not that strong. Tried a brand new plug and hey presto fired up immediately!! After lots of cursing all I needed was a plug! Worth getting another spare.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yay. WD 40 is handy to work out wether it is an electric or fuel problem 8)