Condensation?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Freeman22

Condensation?

Post by Freeman22 »

I keep a Silver Century Plus as an auxiliary on my cabin cruiser, which is moored in Bristol Harbour. Today, I went to start it for the first time in about 8 weeks, and I couldn't get it to start. I ended up drawing off nearly a jam-jar full of water out of the fuel line before I got any 2-stroke mix to come out. After I stripped and cleaned the carb, she started first pull, and ran fine, but I'm astonished at the amount of water I had to drain out. I don't think there's any rain getting into the tank, as I took the fuel cap off and blew into the tank - I could feel pressure, whilst I couldn't hear any hissing (nasty taste of petrol, though). It's a long-range brass tank - could it really have condensed out half a pint of water in eight weeks? Or am I missing something obvious here?

James
pat777

Re: Condensation?

Post by pat777 »

Do you keep the seagull outside exposed to the elements getting rained on?

Could it be possible that there is a gap in the solder joint at the top of the tank and rain is finding it's way in?

Have you tried filling with petrol/oil mix and turning the tank on its side/upside down and see if you have any leaks.

That's all I can think or else it must be sabotage, any new outboard dealers in the area?, there always trying to give our trusty seagulls a bad name!
Last edited by pat777 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Try filling it right up before parking leaves no room for condensation or empty it out then you'll know if water is getting in......
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It could be condensation!! Don't overrule it just yet. There's a few things on the market that can combat this though. wink

Better still, try putting a waterproof cover over the powerhead and fuel tank whenever the motor is not being used. It should minimise the chance of any water ingress into the tank.
Even better of course is to keep your seagull indoors away from the elements and the "other" seagulls that frequent this city of ours. :P

Jon
Freeman22

Post by Freeman22 »

Thanks, everyone. As I say, I don't think water is getting in, since I can't force air out. However, I willl try covering the tank and powerhead,and seeing if the problem disappears. I guess if it doesn't disappear when I cover the Seagull,then it must be condensation. I may need to investigate some sort of a drain tap in the fuel line if so.

I do leave the Seagull on the boat, as parking restrictions make it awkward to bring a heavy thing like an outboard down to the boat every time I want to use it - the whole point of having an auxiliary is that it is always on the boat, and always starts when you need it.

James
BroadReach

Post by BroadReach »

An upturned gorilla bin of suitable size tied down makes a good cover I find. Good ventilation underneath too.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yeah, i'll go with that :lol:

Jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm not trying to plug this in any way, but i use these products a lot in my job as a motor mechanic.

I've used several products in my own vehicles many times before with a noticeable improvement. Expensive, but by heck does it work! (a little goes a long way)
Plenty of other products that this lot do for all sorts of different things. Not just for cars you know...

Take a look, might be worth a try especially if your gull spends a long time on the back rail doing nothing :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikv90rbhfuw

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

A lot of modern fuel has 10% ethanol now, which causes the fuel to go off and it also absorbs water from the atmosphere.

Have you checked your breather screw in the filler cap for a good seal?

Back to ethanol, the good thing is that most super unleaded fuel has not got ethanol in it, thus making it much better to use an things such as classic cars, bikes and outboards.

I use nothing but super unleaded on my classic bike to avoid ending up with water at the bottom the tank.
Freeman22

Post by Freeman22 »

Interesting. I hadn't thought to check the seal on the breather, so I'll have a look at that. I always use super unleaded, as the main (petrol) engine on the boat seems to run better on it, so I should be avoiding the dreaded ethanol in any case. I won't be able to get down to the boat until Saturday, but I've now got a number of things to investigate when I get there. Thanks all.