It is called Wilbur now!

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: It is called Wilbur now!

Post by Charles uk »

Throw that fuel in the tank away, clean the tank & fuel system out with neat petrol or fresh fuel mix, remove float chamber by undoing banjo bolt, then remove the main jet & read the number stamped on the square end, 40 = 25:1, 45 = 10:1, 50 = cold climate 10:1, then refill with new fresh fuel mixed to match the jet, before starting remove the prop or you'll wear the bush & perhaps the prop shaft, check the lower unit contains the right amount of the correct lubricant & then try to see if it runs better.

It might pay to check that your throttle slide travels freely to close right up & to open the throttle throat completely & that the throttle lever will make it do this with your new cable.

You will find instructions in several places on the site on how to do the above.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
secretagentmole

Post by secretagentmole »

Many thanks to all who have replied and helped, I have an engine that will respond to throttle inputs, sort of.

Now I will be able to fix all the other problems, and get Wilbur out and running!
secretagentmole

Right folks an update now!
Wilbur has been to see this chap

http://www.boathousenorfolk.co.uk/

Who for £55 did a full service, new throttle cable, new ht lead, points properly set up, new carb slider, new gearbox oil, check on the carb revealed that Wilbur is running a 10:1 needle so keeping it that way. After all it has run that way for 54 years now.

He also fixed the fuel tap (screw had gone bye byes before I bought it)!

So now Wilbur is ready to go for at least another decade!
secretagentmole

Addition to last message.

Had it running in the tank, it responds well to the throttle.
Shuts off on throttle too!
Eager to start, ready to go.
Another seagull flies again!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Excellent 8) That guy you have used is not one I've heard of before. Useful information to have, and that's not a bad price for what he has done plus the parts either. Enjoy using him :P