What's missing?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

haventaclue

What's missing?

Post by haventaclue »

I have a parts manual somewhere but at the moment I can't lay my hands on it. So here's a couple of pics of the prop shaft ,prop and front casing. Apart from the gear box,what's missing?
And judging by the shape of the drive shaft I need a replacement :cry:
Attachments
What's missing?
What's missing?
A bit bent looking
A bit bent looking
headdownarseup

Re: What's missing?

Post by headdownarseup »

Front collar that holds the shaft against the gearcase, possibly a thrust washer or two, a new gasket for the end cap.Pumphousing, drivetube, driveshaft, drive spring....

I've got boxes of bits for those,a choice of props and complete gearboxes all ready to fit if you're interested. And probably a lot more besides taking up valuable room in my shed:roll:

Try John first though :P
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Thanks for the reply.
I need the thrust washer and from looking at the parts list,yep found it this morning,and a bronze collar.I have most of the drive unit,I have it soaking in a tank of water,bread soda and hooked up to the battery charger hoping to loosen the rust on it. :twisted:
Question,does the crown wheel come off the prop shaft? If so,how? 'Cause I need one of those as well by the look of it.
I'm also having difficulty separating the drive tube from the pinion gear,so heat and more heat,tomorrow,maybe..
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Question,does the crown wheel come off the prop shaft? If so,how?

Yes!
There should be a pin holding it to the shaft.... It will be under all the dirt and rust!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Ok,crown wheel removed,cleaned and prayed for it.It is a 48 toothed wheel and some of them are pretty corroded,so now it looks like shaft and crown,not to mention the prop says CPC5.And I haven't looked at the carburetor or the ignition yet.Ah,the moment of madness :shock: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Photo0400.jpg
Teeth look fairly corroded
Teeth look fairly corroded
The shaft is bent and a groove worn where it looks like the prop spun on it.
The shaft is bent and a groove worn where it looks like the prop spun on it.
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

And one other question,The throttle is twist grip,is this a Seagull or an add on?
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

More questions.How in the name of God do I get the square drive out of this gear box? I have heated it,froze it,oiled it,soaked it in diesel,hammered it :oops: :oops: ,didn't break any more bits,no go.
So if I want to replace the damage gasket,might it be easier to remove the impeller,probably destroying it at the same time,or is there a pin or something I have missed?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Try putting a piece of heavy bar with a hole in it over the drive tube. Then put a G clamp on the end of the drive tube and try and slide hammer it off.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Or take out the split pin through water intake slots or you'll still be hammering next week china :lol: :lol: we're always learning.... :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

The 'gull's going to lie 'til next week,She who must be obeyed has declared a Seagull free Easter weekend,good job she went shopping with daughter no2 this afternoon :P :P .I saw the pin and thought it was just holding a thrust washer,I most certainly learn something new everyday...about Seagull engines.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Noel

To remove the pinion from the gearbox is a swine of a job at the best of times. Before you try and do this, see if there's any play fore/aft actually within the shaft itself. If it's good, leave it alone. Trust me, you'll only end up breaking something if you try and go deeper without the correct methods or tools.
If on the other hand it is too far gone, why bother going to all the hassle of rebuilding a tired old gearbox. There's plenty of these around on ebay or elsewhere.
(or somewhere else wink).
But you're right. The crown wheel is a gonner :cry:

On another note
How i remove the drive shaft is like this.
With the pump housing removed i then clamp the square drive shaft into a vice, good and tight. (probably a good time to order a new impeller for the next bit)
Heat the bugger up around the base of the driveshaft (you'll probably end up melting the impeller as you do this but don't worry, these are easy enough to replace later on)
Then with a rubber or copper/hide mallet and a lump of hardwood, belt the bejeezus out of the top of the gearcase (not too heavy though as you can crack the casting if you're not careful)) and it should start to come off slowly. It might take several attempts to get it to move, but stick with it and it will go. Please DO NOT strike directly onto the cast aluminium with a hammer, use a lump of hardwood.

And if you're really lucky (provided you've removed all the bolts before hand) the impeller shaft might come out at the same time.

Heat, and LOTS OF IT. Don't be scared

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Follow Jons instructions on holding & if you only want to remove the drive shaft & not the pinion bearing, use a long 1/4" bar & a medium hammer after ensuring the bar is touching the top of the square pinion shaft, sometimes there is a cushion of rust & oil preventing them coming into contact, this will need cleaning away, just use the bar to knock the pinion out of the drive shaft.

Excessive heat on later drive shafts often will remove the hardening on the ends of the drive shafts & pinion shafts, not a good policy on a clutched motors, especially when drive shafts are no longer available new, as the correct size box section is no longer available.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

We are moving forward,without too much damage :P Gear box drained and refilled,thanks Tam,then let drain until it was level with with filler opening,just in case anyone was wondering :lol: ,block opened and cleaned,thanks Tam.New rings on piston,thanks Charles UK.
Removed the drive shaft as I needed it for replacement gear box,need new impeller
Maybe I'll get some more done at the weekend
Attachments
Could be worse
Could be worse
Time for a bath
Time for a bath
After
After
Draining the milky stuff
Draining the milky stuff
Washed out and refilled
Washed out and refilled
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Definitely need new impeller
Attachments
Heat's not good for plastic
Heat's not good for plastic
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Definitely need new impeller
That will still work! Just not as good as it should!!
"THE KING OF BLING"!