amal 416 carb rebuild small parts

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

deacon bruce

amal 416 carb rebuild small parts

Post by deacon bruce »

Am rebuilding an Amal 416 carb, using hints, suggestions, etc, from this forum. You guys are wonderful. So unlike other forums (forae? It is etymologically a Latin noun after all- English is a peculiar and wonderful language!) where people engage in nasty ad hominem attacks. Thank you all.

Here in USA, I have problems locating just one small piece of hardware or other. In this case, I need a throttle cable lock nut.

Any ideas what to do? I have thought of using a fiber or nylon washer typically used in small plumbing applications and using the throttle cable adjusting screw to cut thread in the material. File a SMALL notch in adjusting screw threads with triangular file and use it as a tap?

Thank you for your expected collegial response.

BTW, do others have as much pleasure in tinkering with as in using these wonderful feathered creatures as I do? And enjoy the camaraderie of this forum (see above for etymology) as do I?
deacon bruce

Re: amal 416 carb rebuild small parts redux

Post by deacon bruce »

Have used plumbers' nylon part for air intake washer. Works well.
Oyster 49

Re: amal 416 carb rebuild small parts

Post by Oyster 49 »

You can get many of the parts from Amal directly as many of these parts are used on other Amal carbs two. Try classic motorcycle dealers in your area also, they will be able to provide you with a locking nut.