TC 102 prop ?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

mjling

TC 102 prop ?

Post by mjling »

Hi,
I have recently bought a TC model from the local online auction site Trade Me. I'm not sure that the prop is correct as I think it should have a 3 or 4 bladed prop. See photo below
Can someone please put me straight is this one is correct, or if not, what it is from.
IMG_1237.jpg

Many Thanks
Marcus
Hugz

Re: TC 102 prop ?

Post by Hugz »

Looks like what we call a "bow tie" which replaced the raked 10inch prop on early 102's when they switched to the subejector exhaust outlet. Approx late forties to early fifties. I believe the TC had the flat bladed rectangular 4 bladed prop, others will know better.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Welcome aboard.

What is the engine number and a few more pics of the motor would be really cool.

We love pics!

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
mjling

Post by mjling »

Thanks for the replies, the serial is TC61193 which I believe is about 1958. I will try and take some more photos tomorrow and post them.

Cheers
Marcus
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I suspect it should be this style prop, motor on the right.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yep
As per Keith's pics its the motor on the right.
What we call a "hydrofan" prop.

To the best of my knowledge (and from what i've seen to date anyway) there seems to be at least 8 different props that were fitted to post WW2 102's over the years. The "hydrofan" is a fairly common type of prop and you should have no trouble finding another one to fit on your motor. Just make sure it has 102 cast into the prop hub so you can be sure it's the right one for a 102 gearbox.

These earlier "bowtie" props are slowly becoming sought after (not that you'd know it at the moment) so might be wise to keep hold of it for now. You never know...

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

When did Seagull first start selling the Hydrofans?

Wasn't it the very early 60s, prior to that, wasn't the 3 & 4 bladed clover leafs the flavour of the month for 102s.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Possibly!
I tend to look at other motors within the seagull range (40 series for example) and see which changes i can spot for a specific time period.
You might be right Chas. in that the 4 bladed cloverleaf props (same things happening in the 40 series with LS's and early SJP's) could have been produced till the mid/late 50's, but i think it's perhaps somewhere nearer 57 when an exterior design change to the gearboxes across the board from holed to slotted water inlets. This i think is a fundamental change to props from rounded blades (cloverleaf etc.) to square blades (hydrofan etc.) across the entire motor line up. Late 70's/early 80's onwards different again due to gearbox differences, same with props for these motors.

As its been suggested previously in other topics there have been several different types of props, common and not so common, weedfree,big and small etc. etc. with some being better than others in that they don't pick up so much weed as others. 1970's seems to have quite a few variations on "weedfree" within the 102 line. There's 2 and 3 bladed "meatcleavers" as i call them, maybe even a 4 bladed version too (very different in shape to anything before or after a cloverleaf or bowtie)
Trying to work out which prop was fitted to any particular motor when it left the factory can be a minefield at times as so many of these motors have been doctored at some point in their lives, but slowly i think i'm getting there with it until someone finds something hidden in a box for years that puts all our thinking in the bin :roll:

Which reminds me, how far did we get with a prop recognition thingamewotsit that somebody was trying to do.
That would help loads.
At least we could start trying to put some dates more accurately to some of these props.

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can you put up pics of the meat cleaver range as I don't understand what your talking about.

Isn't your database starting to explain what went where & when?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

All I can say is, polished props on polished gearboxes and painted props on painted gearboxes, hydro props are painted.
My 1951 parts book for the 102 quotes, a shear pin propeller, a spring propeller and a trolling propeller available at that time.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Keith isn't the shear pin prop a spare part for the ON, OP & OJ pre war range way before Jon's research area as he's only doing Wartime & later.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

As it was in the parts book, it was still available at that time, so I included it.
I have seen what Jon calls meat cleaver props, which could be right for this motor, but not seen a four blade.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What's the part number of the shear pin prop & the 3 bladed clover, can't really call it a cleaver as that's a very different style of prop & will only cause confusion.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

This is the thread that has some of the proprllers in it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5592

Where in Auckland are you mjling?
I have a 4 leaf clover that might work.

You planning on running down the waikato this easter?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
mjling

Post by mjling »

Hi Nudge,
I'm in Devonport but work in Mt Eden.

Yes I am planning to go down to Karapiro on Easter Saturday to watch the action, keen to see what happens for a possible entry next year.

Cheers

Marcus