46n carb

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

barnicaljohn67

46n carb

Post by barnicaljohn67 »

Hello, can you tell me the difference between a 46N/3A carb and a 46NE/3A? The first is on a silver century , the 2nd a TC 102. Thanks
Oyster 49

Re: 46n carb

Post by Oyster 49 »

I don't think there is much of a difference, perhaps the jets fitted or something along those lines. Any Amal 46 will fit, just check the right jets are fitted.
barnicaljohn67

Post by barnicaljohn67 »

Thanks oyster.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Well, sort of.

To the purists amongst us there are actually some very subtle differences, none of which would affect how the engine runs. Jet sizes for the earlier pre 1978 engines tend to be the same, after 78 everything got changed to allow the 25:1 petroil mixture. This perhaps might be the only governing factor into what fits best onto which motor. Apart from that they're all the same.
Aside from some of the obvious changes externally to the float bowl AMAL logo and the bowl cover and to the main carb body, you'd have to look inside to see what material the float is made from. Earlier ones being copper, later ones being plastic.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Which is basically what I said. 46Ns are basically interchangeable on all 102 engines.

Incidentally were 102s being made in 1978? We know a batch was produced in the early 80s but if I recall they had 416 carbs.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What the gentleman asked was "what's the difference between a 46N & a 46NE", the answer seems to be no one knows, I've never seen an NE but the letters after 46N seem to denote a slight change to the throttle body architecture, like a tick over adjustment screw or a throttle slide limiter.

A series of good pictures of both throttle slide bodies might well answer the question, Amal never gave jet details on the info stamp as it was variable depending on the application.

Was the 46 NE used on a Seagull or was it found in a junk box & your hoping it will do the job on your motor?

The latest 102 that I've seen was an early 90's ED.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It should also be remembered that the 46n carb was fitted to silver century motors not just 102's.
So by my recolletions a 1978 seagull wearing a 46n carb could be either a century or a late model 102. (WC,WD,WHC with a gold top wipac ignition)

Bruce and Hugz both have a very late model 102, but as Oyster has already pointed out these normally wear a 416 carb along with an electronic ignition and maybe recoil start.

Going by that i would think that at some point during 78/9 the change might have been made from 46n to 416 as my own model 90 longshaft built in 1979 has a 416 fitted to it, whereas my 1978 silver century plus has a 46n and running at 25:1.

John
Which motor has the 46ne/3a carb. An engine serial number might help to clear things up a bit better
Is it the 102 or the century?

Digging around some of my collection i have noticed a very small difference in the actual throttle slide itself. Some are slightly longer than others, but they all have the same diameter. Some are plain brass, some are still plated in the original finish. Is it possible that the slight difference in length is where the NE denotes a change in "architecture" as Chas has mentioned! (could the letter E refer to ECONOMY perhaps as around 1978 the change was made from 10:1 to 25:1 petroil mix)

When i get 5mins i'll get some pics up for you.

Jon