No water through outlet

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

alex1

No water through outlet

Post by alex1 »

Hi all,
Lots of useful threads on here but not sure i can see one for my problem.
The seagull I have is a 'century 100', manufactured '61-'62. It's in lovely condition, starts first time and runs well. The only problem I have is that there is no cooling water coming from the outlet. It gets hot but I haven't run it for long enough for it to cut out for fear of damaging it. I tried the caustic soda to no avail but then got the cylinder head off no problem and cleared all the concreted rust out. I was convinced that would fix it so lugged it the mile down the cliffpath to where I keep my dinghy, only to get it started (first time, again) but still not get any water out of the outlet.
I don't really know what to do next. I've read bits and bobs about 'quick cleans' and John suggested I get the power unit and exhaust off but I don't know how to do this. There's no pictures anywhere about how to go about it. Would it be worth running the engine for a longer period to see if water starts coming through after a while?
Any help much appreciated.
Alex
flyguy

Re: No water through outlet

Post by flyguy »

The answer is in here somewhere, I'm sure I read of this problem in another thread
something about the connection between where the water comes up the tube and into the head?
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Sounds like either a blockage somewhere or the water feed pipe isn't connected properly.
Worst case cenario the water impeller might have thrown in the towel. Very unusual if it has as these are hard plastic and are generally fairly bullet proof. Having said that i've seen extremely corroded drive shafts that have swelled up and expanded/fractured the impeller clean off the rusty shaft. It does happen, but thankfully not that often.

Each of which will involve some dismantling i'm afraid.

Firstly, look at the drive tube (the smaller of the 2 tubes) and you'll see 2 nuts attaching the powerhead to the lower unit. Remove these 2 nuts (and possibly 2 washers) and lift the powerhead (complete with the exhaust tube which is the bigger tube) away from the lower unit.
You might end up with a teeny weeny problem getting at the water feed pipe which runs up inside the exhaust tube. Ideally you need the exhaust tube removed in order to check the connection into the engine block (and any blockage inside the copper pipe) Should be fairly easy to see how the exhaust is attached to the engine.
Also double check the bottom of the copper pipe where it locates into the pump housing. If the pipe isn't located correctly into the pumphousing this could also be another reason why you have no water flow.
All fairly straight forward.
While it's apart, it might be worth pouring some water down through the pumphousing and see if it comes out at the front of the gearbox where the slots are. No water = a blockage in either the gearbox inlet or the pumphousing itself. It's all basically nuts and bolts or screws holding all of this together.

From experience working on older 102's (which are basically the same as a century any way) the brass connection into the bottom of the engine block can sometimes get blocked with rust. If you can remove this brass fitting it makes the job of clearing out the mess a bit easier. Scrape away all the gunge inside the fitting and re-assemble with a little smear of thread lock compound. Then put the whole lot back together again and try it on a boat.

Chances are that it's something quite simple.

Jon
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Agree 100%

Spanners out and sleeves up.

All will come clean aye.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

One of the problems when cleaning out the rust in the waterways is that some of the loosened crud can end up getting in the water pipe and going solid.

So I would whip of the powerhead as suggested, remove and clean the waterpipe and also make sure there is no crud left in the block. Make sure the water pipe engages in its hole in the water pump housing when you put it back together though.
alex1

Post by alex1 »

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies - very helpful. However:
"Lift off the power unit". This is not easy. I've got it raised about 5mm but it won't come off. The bolts are free enough but the exhaust seems jammed. Besides hitting it, any suggestions??
Alex
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes it can sometimes be a little tight getting the exhaust to come away. If you wriggle the exhaust to block joint left and right it will slowly come apart. The exhausts can be a bit of a tight fit. Just take your time and work it off gently. Avoid the temptation to wack it with a hammer, and if you wish to give it a gentle tap, then I would suggest a rubber or wood mallet only.

Once apart give the water pipe a good clean out and ensure the block is completely clean. When you put it back together make sure the water pipe goes back into the correct hole in the water pump housing.

Once you have done all that then your engine will have clear waterways for a long time.

Keep the updates coming, we do like photos by the way.. :P
alex1

Post by alex1 »

Thanks very much. I've done that and have got the exhaust free from the casing. HOWEVER, the water pipe inside is jammed on and so i still can't pull the power unit off completely. I can see a nut at the top, covered in grime, but it sounds like I ought to be separating it at the bottom, from what you said. But I don't know how to get at that.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The water tube is a push fit into the housing at the bottom and is secured by a nut at the top. If you undo the nut at the top the tube will remain with the lower housing. It sounds like the tube is corroded into place in the bottom housing. One separated you can apply heat to assist the tube to pull out of the housing.

the housing is aluminium and the tube is copper I think, so it will pop out eventually.

Good fun these seagulls... :P
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The water pump housing more often than not, has a bronze sleeve pressed into it, too much heat might cause this to come out.

So follow Oyster's instructions to remove the leg, then slide the exhaust tube off the water pipe, if the water pipe won't come free with some light tapping from a piece of wood, clean it in situ with some stiff wire & the air line, it might be better to remove the gear box & work from both ends.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
alex1

Post by alex1 »

Ok, thank you.
Not sure I know how to remove leg but will have a look at other posts about that.
Thanks again, I really ought to get hold of a manual.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It's all just nuts and bolts or screws, nothing too complicated really.
Gently does it, dont force anything.
Get yourself a plumbers blowtorch for the more stubborn bits. Dont be scared, these old motors will take quite a lot of abuse.
Very often you will find badly corroded fixings almost everywhere on a seagull that's been anywhere near salt water. Heat is your best friend in this situation.
Sooner or later it will come apart, it just takes a bit more time that's all.

Jon