URGENT: Contact points.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

priorshane

URGENT: Contact points.

Post by priorshane »

Hello, I have searched high up and low down for an answer to my problem but to no avail. So I hope you are able to help me. My 'Little Forty Series' British Seagull engine is not getting any spark. So I decided to check, clean and re-gap the contact points on the ignition. (Villiers MkI System) I moved the engine to TDC, removed the flywheel and brass cover. But when I loosened the large screw and tried to adjust the points with the little screw. Even when I adjusted the little screw as far as it would go the points have no gap. They are not seized or anything its just the spring is compressing them together. Is the spring too strong? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks very much... I need to know quick because I have to have it running for Wednesday and I've never seen this before lol
Oyster 49

Re: URGENT: Contact points.

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome to the forum 8)
The cam that operates the points is located on the flywheel. So you need to have the flywheel fitted in order to adjust the points gap. You can access the points via the gaps in the top of the flywheel.
priorshane

Re: URGENT: Contact points.

Post by priorshane »

Thank you so much you're a life saver. I thought I was making the job easier for myself lol