Stubborn flywheel removal...

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Stubborn flywheel removal...

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all
Been working on AD13945 and have now come to the stage where the removal of the flywheel is necessary. I've tried...
1) getting a helper to lift up Te flywheel and a sharp tap with a hammer on the flywheel nut screwed down
2) gently heating up flywheel around were it fits onto the crankshaft and using WD40 to try and penetrate the seal and then getting a elder to lift up on the flywheel and then again giving it a sharp tap with a hammer

Neither of the above have worked, so I ask if you would be kind enough to submit your own ways of removing a stubborn flywheel.
Tis a villiers mag as well.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Keith.P

Re: Stubborn flywheel removal...

Post by Keith.P »

The only one I ever had a problem with was a wipac flywheel, I have always used a copper hammer and never had much difficulty removing them.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

How long have you let the penetration oil do its thing? Sometimes we can take a couple of weeks. I progressively hit it harder until it releases. Haven't damaged anythng yet. Use a sacrificial nut. :shock:
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I take the nut off completely and and sit a large (20mm) ball bearing in the centre bored hole in the top of the crank, then give it a good wack with a 4lb hammer.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Boyd

I am going to drop over the replacement piston.....I will phone for when you are home.

I will bring a real hammer and heat. I will demonstrate how hard to whack such a stubborn beast then hold the motor while you try not to hit me OK?

Sometimes gently heating and just smart tap is not the answer aye?

If a good hit x two does not work we will sit back and consider of course.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Couldn't have put it better B

Dont tickle it.......HIT IT (and sometimes quite a bit harder than you might imagine)

It's usually rust that will prevent the flywheel from coming off easily. Shocking the rust free with hammer blows is often enough to get things moving.

Little tip here when you re-assemble the flywheel.
Leave the woodruff key out for the moment, then find yourself some fine grade valve grinding paste and lap the taper joint of the flywheel to the crankshaft (the same way you would lap valves in a car engine)
Works a treat, and just helps the flywheel sit nice and snug onto the taper. (makes re-removing the flywheel a breeze too)

Jon