Why do I do this?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

joe28
Why do I do this?

Post by joe28 »

Here in the U.S. we have a site called, "Craigslist".
It's a site for selling almost anything, job hunting, etc.
I surf it most mornings while drinking coffee, just to see what's for sale- I'm always on the hunt for; jeeps, boats, outboards, motorcycles, (not that I NEED anymore, but hey if it's a good deal............).
I found a 1966 4 H.P. Seagull, (I sure as hell don't need another one).
This one is in a million parts, (owner says it's all there), "stuck piston", "Make Offer".
The one SMART brain cell SCREAMED, "PASS, PASS, PASS", but the other 2 working cells that control me,had me texting the guy!
The owner said piston RUSTED in head, all parts there, as well as nuts bolts, carb in pieces too, (sure why not, lets dismantle EVERYTHING)!
Sunday I'm going up to look at it, $50............. :lol:
First problem..........
IF piston is indeed stuck, I can get it out, let it soak on kero or something to break the rust.
IF the bore is screwed,
are OVER SIZED piston made IF it need boring?
Is over sized rings available if I have to rigid hone any pits out?
Is cylinder heads out there for sale?
What do most Sea Gull addicts do when they get something like this??
I know gaskets, nuts/bolts available, as well as most carb parts
Before I commit, I figure I should see parts available!
Thanks!
Joe
I'm a sucker for a good project.
Now, what to do with it once I get it running................... 8)
Hugz

Re: Why do I do this?

Post by Hugz »

joe28 wrote: What do most Sea Gull addicts do when they get something like this??
Run a mile. People give away stuff like that downunder.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Most of us have a bin full of parts, some bigger than others I suspect, as most seagull parts are common and easy to get hold of in the UK.
Maybe not so easy to find parts in the US, but most parts are reusable, I don't think over sized rings are needed just yet, Just remove the piston from the barrel, without breaking anything, you may get away with just needing a set of rings. and it shouldn't be hard to put back together and get running.
A picture would be helpful, also with model you have.
SJP by chance.
joe28

Post by joe28 »

Tanks!
Run a mile? With my knee replacement, I can "gimp" a mile..... Does that count? :lol:
One of the MAJOR problems I have is a I buy a parts ****** (insert your favorite noun here), and I end up fixing THAT up instead of stripping it down for parts.
Although now that I seem to be "addicted" to these fine outboards, I see them @ a bit more, but more a rarity here in my neck of the woods.
Most adds say their uncle or father had it in a shed and isn't running, etc.
Parts are here in the U.S., but takes a few $$ to ship and I try to make BIG orders when I do make a "parts run".
The owner texted me the ser #
LLS273G6
Using the guide here it comes up as July 1966 Century 4 h.p.
I dunno WHAT caused the rings to rust to the cylinder.....
I'm hoping water got into the cylinder.
I dunno if the walls are pitted, head or cylinder is cracked.
One good thing, I can see the water jacket, piston pin, crank bushings
I'm also hoping the carb is all there, or at least all the major pieces are.
I spoke to my parts supplier in San Francisco, cylinders are few and far here states side, all other parts easy.
Stay tune
Joe
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I dunno WHAT caused the rings to rust to the cylinder.....
Sitting around will cause that!

Put some oil and diesel down the plug hole and let it sit and soak for a while. Is the piston stuck fast?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Joe28, Your desire to buy more seagulls more than likely indicates you have an Irish rogue gene somewhere in your ancestry, which is good.
Come time for you to visit the great marine yard in the sky and you will more than likely be given 70 unused , unshafted seagulls as a reward for living the true faith.
If you have been good during your mortal life you will also get a boat and use of a lake or pond.
If not , zilch, for eternity.
chris

Post by chris »

I thought seagulls didn't have over sized rings
joe28

Post by joe28 »

Why, yes, I have a LOT of Irish genes in me, as well as a LOT of German genes.
Heaven will be fixing these, Hell will be, "Sorry those parts are no longer available"!
I've been a "bad boy" most of my life, so I figure I should get as many fixed as I could now, cuz later, I won't get any parts!

Well, I went to vist the "sick Century".
It was WAY more wasted than the owner stated in the add!!
Yes, the rings were rusted in the bore of the cylinder.
Maybe it got wet and started to rust right @ Wood Stock, (Summer '69 for my overseas friends)!
There was a GOOD layer of rust in the bore, I had brought up some rust busting spray, a wooden dowel, a brass hammer and hope.
No way was that coming free!

The cylinder is shot, plain and simple, even if I got the piston out, the rust had grabbed the walls and ate into it.
The crank and all metal had a good coat of rust as well.
Piston rod "stuck" on the crank!!
The carb. was missing a few parts, as well as most of the nuts n bolts.
No fuel tank.
It was a wasted 1 1/2 hour!
There was nothing I could gather for spares, even IF I need them.
I told him best thing to do was bury it behind his house! :cry:
Joe
YES!
I saved myself a TON of $$ buying it, and the parts to get it running.
Now what to spend it on??!!!! 8)
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

why do i do it. well hope this does not sound of but i have 4 seagulls and my wife keeps telling me to sell one or two. i guess i would only get 70 pounds for the two centurys so 140 quid at this time i do not need 140 quid what i do need is to be around these wonderful motors and a bucket of spares :lol:
live long and prosper seagull fans. they are unique so cherish running or in a box.
the animals are winding me up
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

arr yes my wife thinks it is only fair i apologise for my grammar tethering phone to note book in cabin.
ow and coming in with the flood with the lister powering us silver century is in the cabin.
sorry no cockles had and the swear word lister. still 2 cans of Guinness in the fridge when we get home( beautiful)20 mins
the animals are winding me up
joe28

Post by joe28 »

This would have been my 6th? Sea Gull in the past 2 years. (when I get an addiction, I go FULL bore)! :shock:
One, the former owner bought back after he heard I got it running, (was odd, I made a profit??? on that sale)!
Do to "Spouse Pressure" I sold my 2 Centuries I had "brought back from the dead" last summer.
I HAD tried to make them "trolling motors" for my 18' boat on the St. Lawrence River in N.Y.
I just couldn't get the running height right, (what it was, was that I got 2 long shaft motors THINKING that the water stain on my boat WAS the water level on the river, turns out that line was the "at rest" mark at the dock. I REALLY needed a short shaft motor, but never found one).
The best part of owning a S.G.was starting it up on the river, the sound of that motor was a head turner!! Few people have ever seem one, let alone heard one run!
So, a 5 HP 4 stroke Honda fell into my lap, I was FORCED to sell those 2.
I have a 15' "Glen L" sailboat that I built that is happy to have my 2 smaller H.P. S.G. hanging off the back.
(I "work out" both in a rotation, don't want a pissed off Gull in my garage)!!
Joe
Maybe St. Peter will ask me at heaven's gate once my heart seizes up, "How many Sea Gulls did you own"?
If I have owned a lot, I can pass through those gate to a place where they fire up first pull, never need the lower unit oil refilled! :mrgreen:
Hey!
Don't burst my bubble! :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No hope for me then with 25 and counting!!! Long and short, old (some of them very old) and newer, big and small, 2 boats to use them on and hardly any spare time to enjoy them! :roll:
A hopeless addiction, but i love it.

Jon