front end cap bush and bevel pinion removal?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mutineer

front end cap bush and bevel pinion removal?

Post by Mutineer »

How hard is it and what is the procedure to remove:

- the front end cap bush, heat?

-and the bevel pinion?

on a FPCl 667CC8

I have a post about the gearbox in the 'General' section. i should've put it here but once it was posted I couldn't figure out how to move it
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
Oyster 49

Re: front end cap bush and bevel pinion removal?

Post by Oyster 49 »

Both a bit tricky..

For the pinion - lots of heat and use of a drift to move the old pinion assembly upwards and out. You will need a very heavy duty torch such as the type roofers use to melt pitch..or degrease and put in the oven when the other half is out..of course all the paint will burn off too. I have a 102 gearbox that needs a new pinion, I was thinking if some sort of clamp tool could be made to ease the old one out?

End cap - years of neglect will see this bush well corroded in place. I would probably cut one or two slots in the bush bore and implode the bush in situ then pull it out in pieces. I'm not sure if new ones are available but I'm sure a friendly lathe owner would knock one out fairly quickly.

The thread below might be useful. The search tool on this forum is actually quite good.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2398&p=15829&hilit= ... val#p15829
Mutineer

Post by Mutineer »

Thanks
I'm checking out options in case shipping gets too costly on the whole unit, the Canadian dollar is in the tank right now,basically 1/2 a British pound
I found that thread just after posting mine, I don't have a replacement bevel pinion but I do have a bush in a century end cap that would do the trick. Mine doesn't look corroded in . the cap's is in good shape, it's just been ground by the shaft into an oval hole.. The century bush looks perfect but the cap is definitely on it's very last legs.
Hopefully I can afford the whole unit!
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Do you need a replacement gearbox? FPC is that correct?
I have a couple spare which might yield some usefull parts, broken skegs though but all innards appear serviceable. Good end caps too.
Drop me a pm if interested

Jon