fvp drive tube

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

tambikerboy

fvp drive tube

Post by tambikerboy »

Hi guys anyone know the thread size for the drive shaft tube going into waterpump housing mybe one for you Jeremy cheers
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Adrian Dale

Re: fvp drive tube

Post by Adrian Dale »

Good question.... I would have to strip one of mine down to check.. so hope Jeremy or Charles can provide the answer. never thought to check it when I had the chance.

AJ
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I haven't made one of the drive shafts for about 10 years but I think it is 18 tpi 55 degrees, but can't remember the diameter.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Tam,
The pitch is 20tpi. I have measured the thread o/d to be in the range 1.115/1.121. Original plated tube o/d appears to be 1.125. I do not know the thread form, but my first guess would be 55 deg.
it is interesting the tube i/d is one of two sizes. Either 0.915 or 0.990. I wonder whether this change was made at a specific time?

Are you planning to cut this thread on shortened tube?

Jeremy
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Cheers for that Jeremy. I was hopeing to use a long shaft tube and cut to size the original is very pitted thought all i had to do was cut to length and rethread turns out not to be as easy as i thought will be back at local metal works tomorrow try a different method of bribery. .... :lol: :lol:
Attachments
20151225_135946.jpg
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'd be inclined to make a new one, if the tube size is available. Not cheap by the time it has been chromed!
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Cheer.s oyster dropped it off at the powder coaters reckons he can do a good job on it should be interesting. ... :lol:
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Bad idea, the powder coat will possibly be too thick and the clamp at the top won't fit, so you will end up Scraping it off to fit the power head.

Did the water pump housing come off easily?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You could even make a new one from a later chromed leg in good condition. Cut to length and a friendly lathe owner will be able to cut the thread for you.
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Hi oyster the guy reckons he can miss the last 1/1/2 inches for that reason also waterpump housing still attached says there's no reason to remove it don't know much about powder coating if it goes (Pete tong) I . Will go back to plan (A) cheers.... :oops:
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Oyster 49 wrote:You could even make a new one from a later chromed leg in good condition. Cut to length and a friendly lathe owner will be able to cut the thread for you.
That was my initial thoughts my only concern was that the difference in weight between the 2 tubes would the top clamp still hold it just thinking out loud cheers :cry: