68 century plus

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Kevin O Connor

68 century plus

Post by Kevin O Connor »

I am trying to get at the points of a century plus. The top nut is locked solid, I have tried heating it and tapping the spanner with a hammer, but no joy. the problem is I can't hold against it. I was thinking of getting a filter wrench to hold the cover while I tap it. Or has anybody else got a way of getting them off.
headdownarseup

Re: 68 century plus

Post by headdownarseup »

Take the complete motor to a garage and get them to undo the nut with an impact wrench. (air gun to you and me) :P Give it a soak in wd40 for a few hours too.
Tell 'em to go easy as you dont want to strip the threads or worse still snap the top of the crankshaft.
It's a difficult job on your own unless you can get someone to help you.

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Managed to get the cover off, with the help of an air gun. (thanks for that). Checked points, seemed ok. Cleaned and tried engine. No joy, checked and changed plug lead, Engine started after a few pulls. Ran for 10 or 12 minutes, Sounded lovely, pumped water, went in and out of gear. Next time I tried it, a day later, she refused to start. Sounds and feels like she is going to, but just won't. A couple of times she did but cut out after a couple of seconds. Any ideas ? Or am I a jinx ?? :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Sounds like it could be a fuel related problem. The motor might have sucked up some debris into the carb and blocked a jet which is perhaps why it's now struggling to run. (well done with the flywheel nut, they can be a bugger to shift at times)
Clean the fuel tank with some caustic soda over the course of a few days, just leave it to soak in the stuff, then when you're ready flush it out with plenty of water and leave to dry.
While you're there clean the fuel pipe (carb cleaner works quite well) and strip the carb down and clean that too.
Clean ALL the filters in the fuel tap and banjo bolt connection. You dont say which carb is fitted on your century. Amal or villiers? Both carbs are fairly straight forward, but word to the wise if it's an Amal, beware of the banjo bolt connection as the threads can become very corroded and render the carb useless.
However all is not lost as John offers an exchange carb body, alternatively a replacement carb can be found quite easily from the usual sources.

Did we mention we really like pics :P

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

It is a villiers carb.